Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Knots
Dry Rod is always finding cool aides to ff. I found this page that is really well done:

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html
[signature]
Here is another one:
[url "http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg"]Grog's Fishing Knots Index[/url]
[signature]
... my brother in law showed me this site a long time ago.. but to be honest I had forgotten about it.. its a great site to refernce back to.. thank you for reminding me of it.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
...several things I like about this site.. it has different colors so you can distinquish which line they are referring to..

when you mouse over the first picture it give a description of what the knot is for..

and lastly.. when you click on the knot for its video not only do you get the video. you also can run the video step by step.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[unimpressed]Uh, well uh, just which knot would you suggest for an old guy who doesn't see well and almost has to tie his flies on by the Braile method.
Tell me which site and which knot and I'll try to memorize it.

What has one eye, a long Tongue, hum's and loves sex?
Hmmmmmmmm[Tongue]
[signature]
Hey there Thudpucker - why don't you give Davy Wotton's knot a try. Rather simple and it holds pretty well too. Here is a post that I made last year.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=344544;search_string=Davy%20%20knot;#344544"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=344544;search_string=Davy%20%20knot;#344544[/url]
[signature]
[blush]Thanks DR. I'm shifting the rocks again to get a little daylight between my ears.

Davy knot:
It looks like the bitter end goes through the eye, back under the line, then over the line, then down through the loop, and under-over twice.
It sounds simpler than the picture looks.
Like a double overhand on a loop.

I'll have to find something to try that on. The picture of the crossings left me a witto bit Confused.
[signature]
Here is perhaps a better illustration of Davy's knot.Although I prefer the clinch knot this is much easier for me to tie. Lighting, thin tippet, eye sight you name it, hampers my ability to tie on a fly quickly. BTW if you haven't picked up a magnetic fly threader, do your self a favor & get one. I use it all the time. Threaded some 18's today in one shot each.
[signature]
Much better, thanks.
[signature]
...as I said before .. or at least I think I did on this post.. in conjunction with the magnetic fly holder/threader I would strongly recommend that you look at getting a [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=22913&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults"]Cinch Tool Knot Tyer[/url] .. it is an amazing little tool that I use all the time.. it has easy to follow directions to tie knots like the cinch knot ... my brother in law told me get one of these when he introduced me to fly fishing. .. it is like my extra hand when tying knots..

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
Mac, a little surprised you bought a tool for the knot. On that DVD I sent you, they show how to do it quick and easy. Thread fly, hold tag and running line with left hand and stick pointing finger on right hand in loop. Twist, five or so times, stick tag through, good to go. NO TOOL?!
[signature]
... I use the tool when my fingers dont want to be nimble.. I do hand tie my knots freehand when I can..

[signature]
Oh you young kids just like to show off your dexterity.I might have mentioned this before but when I was a you kid my Mother would occasionally ask me to thread a needle for her at which point I would say that I could thread it in the dark. Yea where has all the time gone?
[signature]
..I did the same as you say for my mother.. she used to use the betting ploy (bet you cant do this as well as I can sort of thing) on me until I figured that one out..

while in the Navy I bought a sewing kit so I could maintain my uniforms (too poor to pay someone to do it)..and in that kit I discovered this little tool called a needle threader.. it was amazing how quickly I could thread that needle.. lol... I guess that was when I got hooked (no pun intended) on using tools to make life easier.. but.. as I said before.. I still like the "hands on" approach when I can..

[signature]
Before I got that magnetic threader I used those same needle threaders to thread my flies. They were a lot cheaper to buy than the commerically made units that the fly shops sell.
[signature]
you got that right... [Smile]

[signature]
i use the Turle Knot for most my flies. Very easy but images on internet don't do the ease of it justice. Feed line through eye, form a loop with your middle finger inside of it, tie a simple overhand knot around around the line( I do a double overhand just 'cause) and tighten the overhand knot. Pull the fly through the loop and tighten.

I probably don't make it sound easy either, but once I get the line through the eye, I can do the rest with my eyes closed, my fingers numb and in less than five seconds.[sly] Well, maybe I'm exagerating a little but you get the idea, its easy and quick to tie.

I know a lot of places say the turle is a weak know, but....

In college, I had a statistical methods course. One project we developed an idea to use to employ a 2 sample t-test. Jorgon, but basically I tested the breaking strength on three different knots using two different lines. I tested the palomar, improved clinch and turle knots on power pro 10 lb and vanish 10 lb. We used an Instron machine to perform the tests. This machine would give us elongation and the max force applied to break the knots.

In the end, we determined that the turle knot was not much weaker at all than either of the other two (although it was the weakest of the three) and I have used it since. On another not, the 10 lb power pro was stronger than 10 lb vanish.... So i guess the lb rating is kind of subjective.

..sorry for the novel[Tongue]
[signature]
One question - why would you want to use a knot that is known to be quite weak? Turle or Turtle knot

[signature]
Because my personal precision (I think the Instron machine measures to three significant figures, so to .001 Newtons) statistical testing showed that it isn't that weak compared to a clinch or palomar, both of which are regarded as reliable knots.

Its easy, fast and in my mind strong enough for most circumstances. Also, I like how well it presents dry flies on top of the water.
[signature]
In the long run our favorite knot is the one that holds under stress but more importantly is one that we can tie on the river in bright sun with cold fingers. Mine use to be the double clinch but that has been replace by the Davy Knot.
[signature]