Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High Point Lake
Is High Point Lake (Somerset Co) Worth the trip?
[signature]
I never been there but my dad and some friends of mine have and they told me its a great lake for pike and can be good at times for bass. ive been planing to make the trip but its over an hour drive for me and i have to many places to fish in my area to make time to drive out there. But i def would give it a try!!
[signature]
It is also a good ice fishing lake at times. I live within a few miles of the lake and they have it drawn down for the winter. The vegetation was getting too thick to get a trolling motor through and they wanted to knock it back a bit by draining the lake down. I have caught quite a few pike in the lake and my girls always like it when I take them up there for panfish.

[Image: 100_0663.jpg]

[Image: 100_0661.jpg]
[signature]
Hey lakelurker maybe me and you could meet up sometime this spring for some pike action!! I am from Portage (the other side of johnstown) and i love to fish for pike. I hear it is a very good place for pike. I have an inflatable pontoon that i think would work great up there. Do you have a boat? let me know f you are interested.
[signature]
That sounds like a good idea. I do have a boat. I also need to do a few things to it before season if I can get the time. High Point has a lot of Pike and a few musky.
[signature]
I'm not sure a pontoon would work very well at highpoint. Lots of sharp objects around there. I just have a 14' semi-v. that I added a few seats too, Does the job. Where do you do most of your fishing?
[signature]
Well thats good to know, maybe i will bring up my 12' aluminum boat to scout out the area for the first time.

I do most of my fishing at Glendale lake in Prince Galitzin State Park (Cambria County). Reason being is my Dad has a nice 20' pontoon that they keep docked up there. We do really well up there right at Ice off for pike. We generally use our 9' inflatable pontoons that time of year but we also use my 12ft aluminum boat too. Come May though we put in the big pontoon and get our bass on!

I also like to fish the smaller dams around my area also. I like wilmore dam, beaver run dam and colver dam, all in Cambria County. I also like to fish Yellow creek in Indaina county. Once in a while i like to take a road trip to the Pymatuning for bass and walleye. In the spring i like to go up to Presque Isle Bay on lake erie for when the smallmouth come into the bay. In my opinion that is the best bass fishery in the state. If you ever get the chance it is worth the trip. The best thing is you can put any size boat you wan to in the bay because the water normally stays nice and calm in there. I fish may other places but those are my most often visited and fished lakes. This year i plan on adding a few more to my list such as lake arthur, and the keystone power dam. But sometimes its really hard to add new lakes when you have so many other lakes that you already know produce a nice day of fishing.

In PA i think we are very fortunate to have so many places to fish. They may not be very big like other parts of the country but each of the lakes if fish has something different to offer. Which if you ask me i would rather have may different places to fish than just one large lake to fish. Another nice thing about the smaller lakes is that they are fisherman lakes not pleasure lakes. Thats one of the main reasons i do not like going near Raystown dam during the summer.

So where do you do most of your fishing? What do you fish for?
[signature]
RE: High Point Lake

You may want to check out the last qualitative survey results done by the regional fisheries biologists in 2007.

[#ff0000][/#ff0000][#ff0000]Sorry no links are permitted by users that have under 15 posts. I will repost this like below since it was directly related to the thread. Sorry i would rather not do this but rules are rules. Don't worry Fishing_pappy i will give u credit [Wink]
[signature][/#ff0000]
I do a lot of fishing at highpoint. Lots of pike, bullhead catfish, bluegill, and perch. Pretty much in that order. I have caught a few bass there but few and far between. I do most of my fishing on the Yough. Walleyes and smallmouths in the dam and Trout and eyes on the river.
[signature]
Here is the link that Fishing_pappy posted earlier thanks for the great info!

[url "http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2007/8x06_19high.htm"]http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2007/8x06_19high.htm[/url]
[signature]