Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishn Near Dayton?
[font "Tahoma"][size 4]I am from Utah and am going to be visiting my inlaws in Beaver Creek, Ohio the first part of August and am looking for a good place to go fishing Near Dayton. Anybody who knows where a good place to go is, that is somewhat close by, please let me know.[/size][/font]
Dbrewski,

Well, I do know one place that isn't too far from Dayton. Lake Erie, Walleye Capitol of the World. Just head North for maybe an hour or until you run into water. I am sure you can reel in a few choice walleye, many of which are trophy size. Perch are also plentiful and pretty easy to find. Not to mention the underfished, incredible smallmouth resource. If I were from out-of-state, Lake Erie would be my first choice. Lots of good charter adds on this site, check them out. First part of August is a nice time on the water here and I am sure the inlaws will understand if you offer to take them along!

Respond back if I can be of more help.

Your resident Ohio Lake Erie fanatic,
[signature]
Hey, thanks for the advice, sounds like I can have a real great time out there this summer. What types of bait do you use out there for the walleye and the bass? I know out here in Utah we catch them usually on a white or chartreuss curly tail but have even been known to snag a few with a worm while fishing for catfish and crappie. So what do you suggest?
[signature]
Them smallies just love love love crayfish. As with most bass, they also like a crank bait and of couse the jig set up as you mentioned (tubes are also a good choice). Just get to the island's area and talk to the locals there, they should be able to direct you to a few choice spots. Like I said before, smallies are way underfished in Lake Erie, and I would bet anything that there are numerous trophies just waiting for the right cue. Even I don't take advantage of the bite here like I should.

Walleye fishing that time of year is usually pretty steady. You will be seeing fish anywhere from 15" to 30" weighing 2 to 10+ pounds. Those big hogs are abundant and a blast to land. The weight forward spinner bait, like an Erie Deerie, tipped with nightcrawler is my favorite way to go. Casting out of the boat with a count down method works well for me. Find the fish and note their depth on sonar, cast out and count one second for every foot of depth. When you have a good drift, the retrieve is medium to slow with some short pauses. Walleye really like this presentation, but I have caught just about every kind of fish in the lake doing this: fresh water drum, catfish, white bass, perch, and even a few steelhead trout. That's what I like about the Lake, you just never know what might hit.

Trolling is also very productive for the walleye, but you will need a bit more equipment. Charters like to use Dipsy Diver's or planer board set ups with spoons or shallow diving baits. The number of fish caught this way may be more, but my first choice would still be casting and difting. I like the fight a lot better with my medium action spinning rods.

Any way you go, there is a good chance you will land a nice size catch and definitely have a great time. Be prepared to be "hooked" on Lake Erie fishing. I'll be glad to share anything else I know to get you going.
[signature]
Dbrewski: If all else fails, email me when you are in town and you can do the Lake on our boat. Any of my friends that go with me usually bring their pole, some snacks, and a few $ for gas, and we're there. Let me know if you're interested.
[signature]
Just north and East of Dayton on Rt4 there is C.J.Brown Resivor it is about 35 years old and starting to produce some nice catches. It is about 3 miles north of Springfield. It is on the Miami River.
[signature]
SSOR,

WHAT KIND OF FISH ARE YOU HOOKIN INTO OUT ON THE C.J. RESIVOR? AND HOW'S THE MIAMI RIVER? THESE SOUND LIKE GOOD PLACES I COULD TROW A FEW LINES IN ANYDAY I'M OUT THERE IN BEAVER CREEK.
[signature]