Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gearing up
I don't know how everyone else is fairing, but the season is almost here off the coast of SC. The water is warming up, and that means the fishing will be setting off before we know it.

I spent a good while last night going through my tackle box. I must spend hundreds of dollars in fishing hooks a season, only to find them rusted and useless come the next year. I threw out a ton of fishing hooks last night. Now i've got to restock and i'm trying to find a way to store them with out the salt air rusting them beyond the point of use. I usually just open the package and drop them in a compartment in the tackle box. That's probably my first mistake, taking them out of the air tight container they come in. But, i have limited space in my tackle box.

Nextly, I had a look at the old lures I use for trolling. I didn't realize how chewed up some of my lures are. It was so hard to discard with some of the old lures, but I had to let them go. I see all the teeth marks on the swimming plugs, knowing it was a good lure. And I wonder if the next one I buy like it will swim the same as that one did. (i've noticed that most lures, even if they are the same exact lure, don't track the same) I bet I threw away 80 dollars worth of lures last night, but they were past the point of refinishing. I got the good lures rigged up and the spoons polished. I added a couple casting plugs to the box as well. I'm looking foward to tossing those with my spinning gear when the spanish are thick and hungry.

lastly, I stuck away my tackle boxes and broke out the GPS and chart. I just installed NauticPath USA on my Lowrance a few days ago, and i've been playing with that. I still can't figure out why the hell it calls the inshore reefs danger areas. It's like 35' deep, there's nothing to hit. The only thing I can figure is that it's a high traffic area, and that's why it calls it a danger area. I added a few fishing holes to the GPS that I never took the time to check out. Myrtle beach rock is one of them. I never hear about anyone going there. One reason is probably that it's almost 11 miles from the jetties, North, not east. So in other words, you're going up the coast, not out from it. The water is deeper there though, I figure i'll give it a try this year. There were a couple other spots i'm going to give a try, spots no one knows about or goes to. It's always good to get a good float plan together before you take off on your first trip. (I usually have one for every trip) But the first trip is important, especially if your boat has been sitting for the last three or four months. Usually, the first trip is when something will give on an outboard that's been sitting.

Anyways, just thought i'd share some of what i've had going on for the last little while. I look foward to hearing how everyone else's year is shaping up.
[signature]
Baby powder, it works from season to season for my Wife and me. Have been doing it for years.
[signature]
Just sprinkle a bit on top of the hooks and that's it? Never thought about it, but I guess it would keep the moisture out. I was seriously considering getting a different type of tackle box too. If I have a bunch of large, open compartments, I could just get the large boxes of hooks and keep them in the box. Of Course, even then a little sprinkle of baby powder wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the tip.
[signature]
I keep my hooks in the closed baggie and put some in them.
[signature]
I live right next to the ocean and I use canola cooking spray. leaves the hooks a bit sticky but as soon as they hit the water no more sticky, also no bad scent. works well fo me in the tropics.
cheers
callan
[signature]
I used to put used hooks back in the box. NO MORE!

I use a special box for the used hooks that can still be sharpened.

Desecant packages in the tool box will also help if you can't find any then the baby powder will work fine too.

If you have an end to your season of fishing, then you can keep the hooks in ziplock baggies, old Perscription bottles or even the new Air Tight Tupperware type of containers.

No Oxygen equals No Rust.

Come on out to Cali. Our fishing season doesn't end.[cool]
[signature]
I'm bad about sticking used hooks back in the tackle box. I know that doesn't help things either. I have a couple buddies that only use hooks one trip, and they discard them. (except on their larger lures, which they wash and restore the lure)

Technically, the fishing season doesn't stop here either, but it does for me. For one, I don't like fishing in 30 degree temps. Not my cup of tea. It's just not worth it since the only species you can catch in the winter for 10 miles is Sheepshead, Maybe a winter flounder, and maybe a red drum. Trout come it between here and there as well. Now, if you want to head offshore, and you've got the boat for it(which I don't), you can still catch grouper and stuff like that. So, for me, the season ends when the water temp drops below 68 degrees. [Smile]
[signature]