Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bay Area tips wanted.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hi guys & gals!

I'm heading to SF Bay Area the third week of June and will try the bay for buts and stripers. May even venture out a ways for other species. Any tips for this inlander who'd like to be successful on his summer vacation? Thanks for any info you can provide!
[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Gonna get outta Dodge for a return to the salt, huh? Hope the weather gives you a break and that the fish are cooperative.

I used to live in Sacramento and fish the bay area a lot. I have a couple of websites I drop in on once in awhile to see what is going on. Here is one that keeps up timely reports. You can stay on top of what is happening and plan your itinerary and your gear accordingly.

[url "http://usafishing.com/GGreport.html"]http://usafishing.com/GGreport.html[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks, dude. Been a few years since I drifted the bay and thought I'd try and get the latest. I'm hauling the boat down and will have the opportunity to hit the bay everyday for about eight days. Just don't like reinventing wheels.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool]Same here. That's why I try to find at least two or three local sources of uptodate info and kinda watch the patterns developing before I go. Even if you are on those waters every day, you have to be ready to change tactics.

I figured that with the message board on there you might even drop in and see what you could dig up. Of course, we know that there could never be a board better than BFT...but it might be a good place to do some prospecting for Booyaa and JapanRon too. The California board could use some representation up north.
[signature]
Hey BearLake: I don't know much about the bay but I have a buddy who moved up there and fished it all the time. He passed away last year but before that he communicated to me that to fish the bay you have to use trap hooks like we do for drifting halibut. Unfortunately they lose many outfits and you have to know how to tie one up. He took a Jed Welsh sliding trap hook there and revolutionized the fishing. Jed snells the front hook with an extra piece of mono and it becomes adjustable to the size of the bait by simply loosening or tightning the snell. When you snell the hook leave two long ends to perform this task. Most all fish are caught on the back treble anyway.
[signature]
If you go to San FRan

You might as well kiss fishing goodbye

Come down to Long Beah where the weather is half way decent!

Aaron
[signature]