Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jig paint
What kind of paint is good for painting jig heads? I'd like to create some masterpieces. Actually it'll probably end up looking good to me and the fish won't touch them but oh well.
[signature]
Send a PM to TubeDude, he is the master tube/jig creator. I don't know about your masterpiece, but most of the time combinations are not appealing to fish. Silver, red, pink, green, black, orange, red, and yellow are the most attractive. I mostly use silver and red or black. PM TubeDude, he will probably hook you up with good paint and colors. You might have to bribe him though. Ha, Ha, just kidding.[Tongue]
[signature]
Sounds good, you were like a posting ninja. That was about a 1 minute response!
[signature]
vinyl paint works well, but if you use epoxy clear coat to finish your jigs you can use just about any paint you want underneath,
jed
[signature]
They make a simple to use powder paint. All you do is heat the head of the jig up with flame and then dip the jig head in the powder and it melts to the head. Just be careful not to overheat and melt the lead!
[signature]
Epoxy makes sense, and that powder paint sounds interesting. Thanks guys.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I got your PM and sent a reply, but maybe there are others who wanna get artsy with the jiggies. So, I will attach a couple of PDF files here and also post a links to the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?jump=forum%3D128"]JIG & LURE MAKING[/url] board. We get a lot of back and forth on this subject, with pics of the creations we have made. There is also a sticky with a list of sources of supply.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In a nutshell, I have found the powder paints to be okay for making simple one color jig heads, one at a time. However, I make large batches, with many different color patterns and glitters and eyes, etc. The vinyl jig paints work much better for this and they make a sturdy finish too. As others have suggested, always finish with a clear two part epoxy for maximum appearance and durability.[/#0000ff]
[signature]