Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Platte - Cheeseman Tailwater 3-29-08
So I go up bright and early Saturday morning, 9:30 I think. Well, that's bright and early for me at least! Got my gear together and headed out the door at about 10:30.

Got to the bottom trailhead of the Gil Trail at about Noon and it was packed. Had to finagle (sp) my way into a parking spot. The hike to the river is about mile but with so many anglers I decided to just keep hiking further up river where one gentleman I talked to said there are far less people. He was right, another mile and I was had a nice long stretch to fish without much distraction. The river is really fun to fish, but not easy. There's a lot of different types of water to fish. Riffles, deep pools, narrow slots, and plenty of boulders to fish around, thats about the understatement of the year! Check out the pictures and you'll see what I mean. I nymphed the whole time as not much was rising. Midge emergers and larvae and scuds were what I mainly used. Constant changing level of strike indicator required because as you moved, you find a 10 foot deep pool and then a riffle section in front of it and so on and so on. A lot of fun.

Fished until about 4:30. I had to go to meet my bro, his wife and my neice for dinner. Naturally, there was a hatch starting about this time too, BWOs I think.

Anyhow, fish count wasn't great, but it didn't bother me any. I got one decent brown and a number of dinks; browns, bows and cutts. Only took a pic of the decent brown and it is attached below. Very beautiful area and a number of scenic photos are attached as well.
[signature]
Wow- a great report and some beutiful pic. Looks like you had a great day. It's nice to see some good reports on the colo. board. Thanks.
[signature]
Thanks Hartz! Nice report and pictures.

I love that stretch of river, one of the prettiest in the country!
[signature]
Thats a beautiful brown hartz! I attached a picture of one of the bows I caught that day on the blue.
[signature]
Thanks! Nothing huge but twas pretty!

Also, I don't see your pic? After you browse for it, make sure to Upload too maybe....
[signature]
Yes it sure does help if I hit the upload button![crazy]
[signature]