Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
goin to San Diego next week, have questions
Hi everyone
I'm from Utah and will be coming to San Diego on the 6th thru the 13th. My trip is all pleasure but my companion has school mon-thurs. I'm wondering what my chances are of getting on some 1/2 day charters without reservations. Just want to play it by ear. If you have any suggestions as far as charters go, i would appreciate any insite to some of them. I have been researching and found some pretty cheap ones from Fishermans Landing. We are staying in the Mission Bay area, close to the ocean. The Bahia is our hotel i think. Dont have a whole lot of money so the cheaper the better. I just want to fish while we are there, maybe one charter during the week for me and then both of us will probably do one on either fri(11th) or sat (12th). Never been to San Diego so it will be trial and error i'm sure. Please help a Utahn Fishin Female Fanatic!
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]Hi trowslayr and welcome to SoCal when you get here. MacFly lives in the Diego area and should be around shortly. I usually stay in Ogden on my way up to the Jackson Hole area. The temps there have always been around 110ยบ. [shocked] You can be sure that our weather will be more cordial to visitors. Have a great time.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
i need to make a correction on my post. i said Fishermans landing but that was not cheap and the trips are too long. Only want 1/2 day to 3/4 day trips, leaning more to the 3/4 day trips. I've narrowed it down to H $ M Sportfishing Landing, Seaforth Sportfishing and Islandia Sportfishing. If i missed some let me know that offer what i'm looking for. I'm still searching the web and will be up til departure time. Thanks again ps. also needing some info on packing and sending fish home. ANYTHING WILL HELP
[signature]
...for once I can say.. I been there.. lol.. the Bahia that is... if memory serves me well I think they have fishing off of their own dock.. and may even run a small charter from there as well.. if not, I know fishermans landing is a good spot to check on charters.. I have never done a charter but I know tn2 has done some of that sort of thing.. a lot.. he will be your best source of info ..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
here is a link to a previous post on this site about [url "http://us.f358.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter?box=Inbox&MsgId=1185_19660029_18903_2269_6631_0_28216_27606_1280029477&NEXT=1&inc=&num=&Search=&Idx=7&YY=24442&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0"]san diego charters [/url]etc.. maybe this will help..

MacFly [Smile]
[signature]
Hit old town and the zoo and sea world as far as I know there aren't any fish in california they just want you to drink
[signature]
while I wont agree with you on the no fish thing as a fact.. but I will say that when you or I or DR are fishing.. the fish seem to disappear.. [sly]

MacFly [Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
And if we all do finally hook up it will be one smelly skunk. and It will be fun[sly]
[signature]
Id be hoping to get rid of the skunky smell.. but will agree wholeheartedly that it will be fun...

MacFly
[signature]
thanks macfly and poky-mon, old town, seaworld and zoo are all on the list but i have mon-thur to myself and would like to fish, fish and fish.[fishon] How was the Bahia macfly? I did alot of research on hotels when we finally decided on this one, mostly cause its close to the water, and my friends work is paying for it. [Smile] that would be cool if i can fish off their dock but do they rent poles and tackle? I'm not planning on bringing my fishin stuff. Hey I'm all about fun and beer if your doing any fishin and have room for one more fisherwoman i would love to fish any body of water.[cool] I'll buy the beer![angelic] Well thanks again guys. Looks like we will play it all by ear and hope there are openings on some charters. do you know? Is this a busy time of year for fishing?
[signature]
Hey, I'll be down there from Utah from the 6th to the 12th too. I am going with the whole family and am just going to try to get some pier fishing in in the evenings, probably with my little girl. If you happen to go to shelter island pier in the evening maybe you'll see me getting my skunk on.
[signature]
right on luke, i will be on the look out. shelter island pier? i will google it to see how far it is from me. Tell that skunk to turn around and leave you alone!!
[signature]
its been a while since I was there so have to clear some cobwebs... if I remember right it was a good place to stay.. the big draw to it for me was the beach access.. they have a small pier of their own where they have (or had) a large toursit boat take people around the bay.. looks awesome at night

.. they rent fishing gear (salt) and I think bikes and craft to go out into the bay are (peddle craft etc.. maybe wave runners)..

.. you are right there on the boardwalk and it is clean and well maintained..

... Id double check dfg on needing a license.. or maybe tn2 will pop in and he will be able to answer..

.. you can travel north of there and come into some good beach areas.. if you travel inland you run into some good freshwater fishing.. I dont know what your schedule is but can suggest dixon and wohlford from personal experience.. plus you have elsinore up north.. and corona lakes (pay to lake)...

MacFly
[signature]
hey thanks macfly, i feel better about the hotel now. I know freshwater and would definately be more at home there but this is about exploring new avenues on this trip although i'm sure we will go check out some freshwater lakes and such. (my schedule) I dont plan on sleeping only playing and fishing and drinking oh and maybe eating every now and again.[Wink] hey thanks again, any info is appreciated.
[signature]
another site is sdfish.com.. it is al freshwater but it will give you some info that you may want..

hopefully tn2 will chime in soon.. he is the big expert in this area..

MacFly
[signature]
H & M Landing has some of the better deals this time of year since it is still considered slow for them.

Yellowtail and Barracuda are the primary pleasures as well as some shallow water rockfishing for that area.

You could get by with some of your Musky gear but will have to bump up to at least 20lb for some of the Yellowtails. They are running in the 25 to 30lb range and run like hell.

Chime on back if you need more info. They have 1/2 day and 3/4 day open party boats every day. You generally don't need reservations during the week but it wouldn't hurt to call ahead and see if there is still room just in case.[cool]
[signature]
if I not mistaken .. you can also buy your license there and rent the equipment you need from these guys..
[signature]
HEY THANKS ALOT GUYS, REALLY APPRECIATE THE INFO!!I'll be taking alot of pics so i'll share with ya when i get back home, and hopefully they will be of some saltwater fish. I dont think i'm gonna bother with shipping any home. Are there any other options, like selling my catch of the day to someone or should i just release everything i catch. I dont want to spend money on shipping when my freezer is full year round with fish, well not full cause my family loves it so much but i try to keep some in there for me at all times.
[signature]
..Id doubel check with the charter company.. if you go that route.. they should be able to answer that question.. or maybe tn2 has the answer...

MacFly
[signature]
Normally you can turn the fish over to the Crew. Be sure to tip them anyways since they rely on tips for their standard living.

You probably wouldn't mind bringing home a few pieces of Yellowtail. They are good grilled or in Sushi. I have plenty of Yellowtail recipes on the Recipe board.

You can get your license and rent equipment at the landing.

Don't forget to share your report with us here.[cool]
[signature]