Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarley: Petros Offers his Expertise in Classes
Most fisherman probably have heard of Ted Takasaki.

Takasaki, a local boy who emigrated to Brainerd, Minn., is one of the all-time greats in the world of walleye fishing. He began his tournament fishing career by teaming up with John Campbell, another local. They tore up the Masters Walleye Circuit, then split up and entered the Professional Walleye Trail and the FLW Walleye Tour. Both Campbell and Takasaki are in the listings of all-time top money winners.

You must certainly admit that these fellows can really fish. How did they become top tournament pros? Both will admit that they gained the knowledge and confidence from attending a local fishing class for nine years in a row.

Jim "The Musky Hunter" Saric, of the northern suburbs is recognized as one of the nation's best big-fish anglers. He has nailed more than 100 50-inch-or-better fish. That says it all. Many anglers fish a lifetime in hopes of only one. Saric's popular TV show airs at 10:30 a.m. every Saturday on Comcast SportsNet. Tune him in and you'll wonder how he got so good at what he does. Ask him and he'll tell you he started by attending a local fishing class for a number of years.

Mike Norris is a well-known local fisherman, guide, speaker and radio and TV personality. In years past, he showed how good an angler he was when he placed second at a big PWT event on Lake Erie. He's been a money winner on tournament circuits throughout the Midwest. Clients of his "Wacky Worm Guide Service" on Geneva Lake praise him for putting them on big fish and plenty of them. Guess what? Norris attended the same local classes as Takasaki, Saric and Campbell.

Plenty of other big-name poeple have attended the classes, as well. I hope by now you have figured out that I am talking about the Spence Petros Fishing Classes.

You have the opportunity to attend the classes and pick up some of the tips and techniques that have made both pros and weekend warriors into better fishermen.

The classes are in their 36th year. For 2008, Petros, a McHenry resident and Hall of Fame angler, is offering two separate five-week long "Fishing Schools." The first set of classes covers bass and panfish and begins March 4, and runs for five consecutive Tuesday nights. Each class runs from 7:30 p.m. until at least 9:30. That's five Tuesday nights at 2 hours each - a total of 10 hours of quality fishing education for only $75 - an incredible bargain!

The second session covers northern pike, walleye and musky, beginning March 5, and again running for five consecutive Wednesday evenings. Same great deal - 10-plus hours of Spence for $75.

I have said this before: I guarantee you cannot spend $75 on any rod, reel or bag of lures that will help you to catch more fish and bigger fish than by enrolling in the Spence Petros Fishing Classes.

The location for the Spence Petros Fishing Classes is the American Legion Post at 122 W. Palatine Road in Palatine. This location is 2 miles west of Route 53 on the north side of Palatine Road. It's only minutes from Woodfield Mall and Arlington Park racetrack. You can buy beverages, both soft and hard at the Legion's downstairs bar.

Darrell Baker, legendary Fox Chain "super guide" and close Petros pal, will be making a guest appearance at each of the two sets of classes. Baker is the best in the business on northern Illinois' most productive body of water. Don't miss it. Baker will be doing a PowerPoint presentation and giving out his own personally marked maps of the Chain.

Petros is famous for his angling talent and for his abilities as a fishing educator.

Why does "Professor Petros" still keep doing the classes? He surely could just have his classes taped and put on disc so he could mass market them all over the country for a lot of money. In my opinion, Spence continues doing the classes live because he loves the interaction between the teacher and students. The class sometimes will try to trip him up. Petros says, "It's a hundred against just me. That's a pretty fair fight."

Spence's classes fill up extremely quickly. To ensure your enrollment, send $75 to Spence Petros at 2207 Stilling Lane in McHenry, IL 60050. You can go to spencepetros.com/ for more information or you can call 815-455-7770.

"¢ Kane County Chronicle outdoors columnist Steve Sarley's radio show, "The Outdoors Experience," airs live from 8 to 9 a.m. Saturdays on AM-560. Sarley also runs a Web site for outdoors enthusiasts, OExperience.com. He can be reached by e-mail at sarfishing@yahoo.com.