Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outdoor Sports Workshop for Women, May 2-4
Online registration begins March 1 for Becoming an Outdoors-Woman

Women can learn outdoor skills, such as backpacking, shooting sports, fishing and birding at Becoming an Outdoors Woman (BOW), May 2-4, at Ross Camp, near West Lafayette, Ind. Registration begins March 1.

BOW introduces women to more than 30 outdoor sports and skills in a safe, non-competitive environment. The hands-on classes promote confidence and instruction for women who want to learn new sports or improve existing outdoor skills.

"I learned how to fish and paddle a solo canoe and I caught four bluegills my first time fishing! I would have never done that on my own," said Angela Sturdevant, past workshop participant. "I was so excited to go home and try these skills by myself. The instructors were patient and helpful. They really helped me learn these skills and gave me a new perspective on outdoor sports."

Participants must be 18 years old or older. Workshop enrollment is limited. The $175 fee covers barrack-style lodging, meals, and all equipment and supplies used in the workshop. Partial scholarships are available for students, single parents and low-income, first-time participants. Please call (317) 232-4095 for more information about qualifying for scholarships.

The workshop is sponsored by the Indiana DNR and the Indiana Hunter Education Association.

Register at bow.IN.gov or call Dawn Krause, (317) 232-4095, for more information.