Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod repair
ok here is the deal. Last night it was dark and I accidentally broke my fishing rod. It is between the tip guide and the next one down. Anyways, I have no experience making a fishing rod I want to get all the guides off and put them on a new blank to replace the broken one. I know the pole is only a $20 Daiwa but it is my favorite pole ever. It kind of makes me Sad. It is more just it means alot to me then it is worth alot. Anyones help would be appreciated if you can tell me what I need bare minimum to just take the guides off and replace the blank. Thanks.
[signature]
[#000000]ok, I having trouble under standing you question.[/#000000]
but if you just want to take the old guides off the rod.
you can use a exacto blade #11 or a single side razor will also work. the guides are held on the rod with nylon thread. you can cut the thread right on top of the foot and unwinde it, just be careful not to cut the rod, alway cut on or towards the guide foot.
some times for a quick repair you can just put another rip on the broken one if it's not toooo close to the second guide. not sure if you would want to even repair the rod, it would change the action and probibly not holdup because of where it's broke.
if you need anyother help just let me know.
later chuck
[signature]
well what I want to do is replace the blank that broke. It is a 2 piece rod and I figure I could just take the guides off and put it on a new blank. Is this going to be hard. It is a 5'6" rod and I really would like to just replace the top piece entirely and re-use the guides. Thanks. How would I go about doing this? I have never made a fishing pole so this is new to me. Thanks.
[signature]
[#000000]well, you could do that, it depends on how the two pieces go together. some have metal furrels that slide together with the top section being the smaller side. then other rods have the top section bigger around where the rod pieces slide together. as long as the two pieces slide together and fit tight you should be good to go. the tip guide will come off with the use of a lighter, just heat the tip up and pull[/#000000]
it off. the other guides will have to have the thread cut off.
wrapping the guides on is really no big deal. you just need a few things. some way to hold the rod and be able to turn it and a way to hold tension on the thread. or if you want, I can wrap the guides for you. I have wrapping machine and do this kind of stuff on the side.
you can send me a PM if you'd like. later chuck
[signature]
[#000000][size 4]It's probably going to be impossible to replace the blank with another from the manufacturer, and being a $20.00 rod, will not have high quality guides on it.[/size][/#000000]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4]If I were you, I would get with Utwalleye and have him help you select a good blank and components that would provide you with a rod of similar length and action.[/size]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4]He has considerable experience, and when you finish, you will have a quality rod that you will be proud to fish with, and you will gain the experience in making a rod.[/size]
[size 4][/size]
[signature]
Can I just use a similar blank? This rod is really important to me. I was landing the some of the biggest fish I have ever gotten on this rod last summer. It probably is not what most people would do but this rod means so much to me. I bought it when a rod I had gotten for my birthday snapped fighting a fish. I had to dig through my room for hours looking for change as a poor college kid. I payed for it with quarters, nickels, dimes, and pennies. This rod really means alot to me. It is actually a 6'6" rod. I made typo I think earlier. Medium action 6-14lb test line. The total length of the top piece of the rod is 38 and 3/4". Can you help me find a replacement blank? What is everything I will need to make the repair? Bare minimum tools and materials. If you can provide links to where I can purchase everything I need online for materials. I really would like to restore this rod. Thanks for your help. i just want it to be fully functional again. It does not need to be fancy just functional. Thanks.
[signature]
[#000000]well, yea you could use a similar top section as long as it fits like the old piece. it will change the action but it could work. take a look at mudhole.com it's a rod building site that has all the works for rod building.[/#000000]
things you will need

thread, size A
color preserver
flex coat
something to hold the rod as you turn it, a small box will work with a "V" cut in each end to hold the rod.
somthing to hold tension on the thread as you wrap. a book will work ok for this. just run the thread thru the middle and close the book. sometimes you need to add some weight on the book to get more tension.
once you have all the wrapping done apply color preserver and let dry then apply the flex coat. flex coat is the finish and and it takes a long time to cure. it has to be rotating at a slow speed as it dries or it will run. hope this helps, later cuck
[signature]