Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crappie flies
No, I don't mean flies that suck. Does anyone have any favorite patterns for targeting crappie. I am looking at taking my kids and I just bought my daughter(5) a new fly rod (so she won't break my rods). I can tie them so descriptions would be nice.
p.s. skunked on the Ogden saturday for 1 hour but it was nice to get out.
[signature]
Small chartreuse bh or not wolly buggers or 2-tone chart/olive. Those have always worked for me.[Wink]
[signature]
Off the subject a little, but I am looking to get my 6 year old his first fly rod for the very same reason. What did you get and is it working? Thanks
[signature]
I don't know about a 6 year old. Personally I would start with a spinning with a bubble and a fly, but if you want to get them started that young, a WalMart combo or the Eagle Claw and be sure they get some lessons on casting. I had a young man at the Library one night (we were teaching youngsters fly casting) He had to be maybe around that age and I showed him how to cast. He was a natural so I told him to keep it up. I went to the bathroom, when I came back he had worked up a sweat, but was still going, I had to laugh a little. He was so cute I wanted to take him home.
You need one long enough to cast some distance, but not to long for him or her to handle. And light enough that they don't have to struggle.
[signature]
Like flygoddess said I bought a walmart special kit that incuded rod, line, reel, backing, leader and an instructional video. Normally it was 80 but I found it on clearance for 40. My daughter watched the video with me and tied all the knots with a little coaching. cabelas also has some combos for pretty cheap.
[signature]
My 5 year old got his rod for christmas this year. It is a 7' 6" youth 4/5wt. My mother-in-law bought it off the internet for like $70 for the rod, reel, line, and a few odds and ends in a kit.
It is NOT too early for a fly rod if they have the concept of casting down a little. My son can cast his rod about 30' so far and he is getting quite good at it. If you want more info about the combo let me know.[cool]
[signature]
I've caught them on hares ears and princes before. Just use a high floating indicator, 3' of leader, and 2 bead headed flies. Fish them tight to cover and you should do alright.
[signature]
Beadheads may be hard for a kid to toss, but are about the best fly for Crappies that I have used. I tie a montana pattern with chartruse, yellow and red bands.
About any buggy nymph pattern will work, not to small, 12's work for me.

When my boy was 6 I got him a 6.5' Greely in a 3 wt. Set it up with a cheap reel and floating, wt forward line. It works well for him. I think that length and wt are perfect for kids.
[signature]
Would you care to expand on this Montana pattern. (pic's or pattern)
[signature]
[url "http://www.virtualflybox.com/patterns/pattern.php?id=365"]http://www.virtualflybox.com/patterns/pattern.php?id=365[/url]

The "Montana" is a very old and basic pattern.
All you need is any "Bugggy" looking fly that sinks. If you put it in front of a Crappie or Bluegill they will ussally eat it.
[signature]
Thanks for the link
[signature]