Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Louisiana Bayou
About two months ago, me and a couple of friends started fishing once or twice a week in a small 10' boat deep in the sticks of central Louisiana.

The body of water is what you would call a bayou, I suppose. It's a non-moving body of water resembling a lake/creek.

This bayou varies from perhaps 40 ft deep at it's highest point to as little 1 to 3 feet deep in some places when it hasn't rained for a while.

We have fished with worms, crickets, buzz baits, spinner baits, chicken livers, nearly 5 different rage tail baits, and even tried chumming for catfish a few times. But despite all of the money, time, effort, and patience, we still have only caught about a dozen bream in this two month time span. We have seen alligators in this bayou as big as 8' long, and we have seen plenty gar fish, but still nothing so much as a nibble from anything other than bream.

I have seen catfish swim to the surface by our boat and snap a cricket off the surface of the water, but they never bite anything we put in the water.

Top water baits have proven to be ineffective. From buzz baits to rage tail frogs... nothing.

So, I really would like to know what could possibly be causing this to happen.

The only thing I can think of that may be the problem is that the water is very low right now. The sun has dried it out pretty badly. Would this be causing the problem?

And I would suggest that maybe there just aren't that many fish in the water, but we see them jumping quite often.

Help!
[signature]
I maybey way off here but i used to live in Slidell louisiana and loved cathing gar's the best way i know to catch them is early or late when they are swimming at the top and we used to use any kind of cut bait with a Bobber and 2' leader under the surface and did good those gars fight good to in my opinion in a place like you are fishing the cats probly feed more by smell than site so i would use old shrimp or livers maybey some else here has better info for you
[signature]
As in I could buy some cheap chicken, then cut it into small pieces and use that on a bobber setup?
[signature]
the cut bait we used was cat fish&mullet but we also caught them on big dead shrimp
[signature]