Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Provo Report
[I originally posted this in the General Fishing forum but decided it'd fit better in here.]

Went fishing today on the lower Provo with my wife's uncle and step-dad. We poked around in the valley before heading up the canyon. There were several golden stoneflies out. Also saw some PMDs coming out along with couple BWOs. We hooked into some smaller fish there, but soon headed up the canyon.

We looked around at the river by glen canyon park and spotted 8 to 12 decent looking trout (didn't try to take any though, we wanted to check out a little farther up. Up the canyon I hooked into a nice brown and my wife's uncle caught a little rainbow. Other than than we had a few hits, but it was sparse today. Scuds scuds scuds...seems like that's about all was up there today. We hit the river a little late in the day, so that could have made a difference too.

It was still a beautiful day for fishing. It was a little windy, but the weather overall was fantastic.
[signature]
how were the water flows? And clarity of the water?
Did you try some stone fly patterns in addition to the scuds?
[signature]
Yea, what cast to the left said[cool]
[signature]
Just FYI I hit the middle Provo near Jordanelle water levels were Very Fast and Really High and Extremely Cold Id use caution in wading it. Chucked a few nymphs in and nothing decieded to bag it since I couldn't get a good position without taking a swim. [crazy]

Saw the bulk of the people higher up in the Midway area near the Provo restoration project but with all the people I didnt stop.
[signature]
Ok,,,,,
didn't hear an answer back , so went to the lower provo a yesterday anyway.
Arrived about 10:45am.....fished from the railroad bridge down about a quarter mile(skipped some of the deep fast water). until around 1:30pm.
The flows were high, but the water was clear. No new sticks etc floating so figured it wasn't still rising.
Changed out patterns from big hares ears(#12's) to midge larva(#20).......finally found that a flashback hares ear tied in rainbow scud dubbing was the ticket (#14's to 18's). Took five brownies after that, 4.... 12" and under.... but one 17" heavy rocket jumping, upstream/downstream running brown made the trip a success for me...
castthl
[signature]
Sorry I didn't reply in time. Sounds like you had a pretty good trip though. The flows were pretty high when I was there too but the water was also clear.

I should be on the river again in a few days, so I'll give another update then.
[signature]