Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Padre Island & Port Isabel 5/3
We got to our spot shortly after daylight. There was a few people there which is very unusual. It must have been Mexico's designated fishing day.There was people everywhere. We managed to catch a mangrove snapper at that local.

We moved to the swing bridge to try for some flounder. It was totaly over cast and it seems that flounder don't come up on the flat until the sun warms and brightens up the shallow water. We still pulled a couple off the ledge that falls into the canal.

Next we headed to the surf and found that it was covered up with seaweed. Seaweed is not condusive to surf fishing. You can't keep your weight planted due to the sea weed accumilating on your line . This make it easier for the currunt to dislodge your spider weight and wash your bait ashore. It's just more trouble than it's worth.

So we tried the inside of the jetties. We got plenty of bait stole and Mike managed to hook up one time with a nice fish. Only to loose it to the rocks.Next move.

Back to the ship canal. We caught a variety of fish as the day faded. There was hard heads, piggy perch, sting ray, whiting, flounder, eel and maybe more that I have forgot.

We did see a man with a net full of medium sized Jack Crevalle. He said they were pompano and he was going to eat good tonoght.(WRONG) He was in for a big suprise when he bit in to one. Jacks just look different and the have a black spot on there gil plate and on there pec fin. He acted like I was an idiot when I told him they are Jacks.

All in all it was not a real eventful day.I think the solunar table was off a little. A not so good day of fishing is better that a good day sitting at the house.
[signature]