Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelf life
[font "Georgia"][#008000][size 4][cool]Thanks to Oris for responsing to my question regarding shelf life of their tippet material:[/size][/#008000][/font]

[#800000]"There is a shelf life on the material. For example if it says use before 2008, than you can use it depending on if it was exposed to UV light, water and so forth. If you have kept it in the packet and not used the material than you should have no problem using the material. I can not tell you exactly the shelf life of the material because depending on if it is used out in the sun and in water than it will be around the time that you have on the packet. But if you see it splitting and not perform right its probably time to get new material. I hope this information helps you. And If you have anymore questions or concerns please feel free to contact me back."
[/#800000]
[signature]
Thanks for the post. I had not ever heard anyone speak of water degrading tippet. Though I had heard that nylon obsorbed water. I did not put much faith in that idea.

Well, unfortunately my tippet does not spend enough time in the water.

But it does spend a lot of time on the spool so a maybe it is really fortunate, for me, that it does not spend a lot of time in the water when it is on the spool because that would mean I am spending to much time drowning in the river.
[signature]
thanks for the info.. Im in the process of replacing my tippet for my vacation.. figure its been a while and I might as well play it safe.. not that I will be catching any fish mind you.. but I will look good getting skunked.. LOL>..

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Guess that since tippet material is not all that expensive it makes good sense to discard any tippet that I have on my line from previous trips to the pond. As for storage I keep the rolls inside of my vest so I'm safe doing that. Good people over there at Orvis. They have always responded to my quires. Can't say that for all companies. No wonder the FGD has a fondness for them.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
the tippet I have is pretty old.. and it was orvis.. plus FG is always on me to change it all out and upgrade to fluorocarbon.. so thats what Im doing.. now if I could only win the lottery I could afford the gas to drive over to sport chalet.. [Smile]

MacFly [fishin]
[signature]
Ahhh, it is just money. Take a loan out and go over to the San Diego Fly shop and get the tippet.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Or maybe Cabelas.[Wink][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]