Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue Fishing
Just got a new 23' Pro-line DC boat. I went bluefishing (trolling) once about eight-ten miles out. At a place called the Stone Beds. Right outside of somers point New Jersey. I used two diamond jigs and two tube lures. I did not catch anything. Any tips on bluefishing?
[signature]

You shouldn't have to go out to far to find them if they'er in. I will troll shoals or go into bays or harbours and look for gulls working. Drop offs have produced for me as well when looking on the fish finder. I too use a tubeNworm as well as dragging a plug. Use a kastmaster when you find a school working the surface.
Caught one three weeks ago here in CT, but it's been slow here for now.
[signature]
We get alot of blues as a by-catch when we troll for king and spanish mackeral. Blues are a sucker for clark spoons and drone spoons. You don't need to use steel leader with a spoon, since the business end of the fish is stuck on the back side of the lure. I like fluorocarbon leader, and about a 4' piece is more than enough for blues. They are not very line shy, but every little bit helps. Chum will keep them by the boat, and if you run into a school, you can stop the trolling and chunk along the side to keep them feeding. Chunk with pieces of menhaden, mullet, or what ever else is available. Once they are steady by the boat, use a spinning reel with a small steel leader and a hook, bait it with a chunk of bait, and toss it into you chunking slick. You'll be tired of catching blues after an hour of that. LOL
[signature]