Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a question about choosing fins
I'm in need of some advise. Just got my tube last friday, built the rod holders, got all the other gears I needed but now I'm trying to figure out which fins to get.

I at first purchased a pair of outcast float tube fins
[inline Fins.gif]
I took them out in the pool and swam around a little to give them a nice test run. but they just felt very very uncomfortable and had no support to give a good kick

So I went to a local sporting goods store here and picked up a pair of these by body glove
[inline 612-235-36.jpg]

So i swam around with these in the pool last night and they fit comfy, stayed on tight, but they didn't push me around like I thought they should.

So am i headed in the right direction by trying to find some thing that stays on, comfy, and pushes me really good?

anybody have some reviews or just let me know what fins push you.

I don't know if it matters, but I'm 6.1" and about 200lbs.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you look in the Picture Board, and in the Archives you will find lots of similar questions and reviews on several kinds of fins.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some on this board like the Force Fins, but they are more pricey. Many of us use the Mares Plana Avanti. They have soft foot pockets, easily adjusted straps and are just about ideal for blade size and stiffness for tubing. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Any fin that works is good. Lots of differences of opinion.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I agree with TD on maybe the Mares. Although I have never tried them, the Force Fins are going to cost about what YOU spent on the tube.
I have the same fins you have in the first picture, plus FF and I personally like both. I like the ones in the picture on my pontoon, because I do have a motor and oars and they are basically for steering or staying in one place.
In my Float Tube, FF all the way and no looking back[bobWink]
[signature]
I have used the ones like the first pair, brownings and both the Mares X3's and the Mares Quatros. The latter 3 are my picks but in reverse order. Plus I do not think the Browning ones are made anymore. Some where back in the archives Rode talked a dive shop into letting him in there pool with his tube, and he tries several of the different styles. If I recall the Mares were the best in the tube as well.
[signature]
So I'm guessing I just need to get out in the water or pool with my tube and kick around, b/c trying to swim with these fins will most likely not give me the same force as sitting. Ok, that will be my homework tonight. Thanks for the tips yall.
[signature]
So you are testing these for swimming?[crazy] Big difference in pushing a tube and swimming. No wonder the first were uncomfortable. They are made for Paddling (like peddling a bicycle backwards).
[signature]
Yea FG is correct. I know Rode said he loved the split fins for swimming, but in the tube he went absolutely no where with them. You kick completely different while sitting in the tube. How ever on that note I do use mine for snorkeling and love them for that as well.

Majja
[signature]