Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie help with Blues
We went out fishing a few weeks ago and the boat caught nothing. 65 people and nothing!

Well I got the bug for deep water fishing so we chartered a boat in August. I have a pole at home that I'd like to use and from what I can tell it's rated for 12-20lbs. I don't know anything about the line that came with it. I know I need a 4-6oz sinker but what else do I need to do it right? Keep in mind this is only my 3 time out but I want to use my own stuff, not the rented poles. Freshwater fishing I've been doing since I was old enough to hold the pole but deep water is a whole new game! We're not allowed to use SpiderWire. Teach me please!!!
[signature]
I do use that size rod for blues when I'm casting poppers. But you mention useing a weight of 4-6oz so I will guess you'll be bounceing off the bottom with cut bait. Use a stouter boat rod that has a stiff back to it and add 20-30lb mono to the reel. Mono will allow some stretch when they run. If the capt will allow, use a steel leader as well. Blues are just making a showing here in ct, but they don't get heavy till late Aug. and Sept. Good Luck on your next trip.
[signature]