Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air pump help needed
Thanks to the reviews of the ODC 420 on this site I've decided to purchase one. As I'll be ordering it and not seeing it first, perhaps someone here will post a description of the air intake valve and necessary air pump nozzel to use with it. I currently own a double action hand pump with a one inch diameter nozzle, but have lost the smaller adapter nozzels that came with it. What size nozzle is neccessary to fill the ODC 420 tube? Thanks.
[signature]
I don't have a picture but just went out and measured mine for you. The valve where you pump it up is only 3/4 of a inch on the outside.

The valve is in two parts. There is a cap you open to fill the tube. It is a one way valve. That valve is part of a larger valve that when removed lets the air back out. Word of advice is make sure the lower valve is secure when you fill your tube and make sure you know which valve your really turning when you try and top off later in the day.
[signature]
tlspyder13... thanks for the info on the valve. I re-measured my pump nozzle and got 3/4 inch inside diameter; it will work. I'll pay special attention to not let air go while on the water! I'm looking forward to this tube as my current ride is a nut sling suspended in a truck tube. I'm a minimalist bass chaser but this tube is becoming a bit too minimal? Thanks again for the info.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You will definitely love the new ride...especially compared to what you have been using.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of the two way air pumps sold for inflating boats and toys have a standard end that fits the valves on most float tubes...without having to use the nozzle attachments.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will echo the advice to make sure the lower part of the valve is secure before securing the top part and airing up your tube. Those are good valves, but if you get in a hurry and do not fit them securely you can find yourself sitting low in the water after a much shorter fishing time than you planned.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I second what TD said. As I just happen to do this once up at Jordanelle actually when I had my ODC. I did not have the 2nd part of the valve tight aired it all up set it in the water got everything read took the truck up to park came back and one toon was very soft. After a couple of choice words I rechecked all the valves and found it tighten it and no issues after that.
[signature]
Ditto everything said before, making sure that second and/or bottom valve is secured is critical. I also only deflat my tube about 1/2 when storing it so the valves don't slide out of place, of course that's if you have the room.

AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome back.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How's fishin'?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you to all... Storage and transportation space is not an issue so leaving air in the chambers is no problem. I'm assuming releasing some of the air pressure helps lengthen the tubes life. Will keeping enough air in the chambers so they are nearly full but "soft to the touch" be a negative? Thanks again.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Keeping some air pressure in your tube makes it easier to pick up and stow in your vehicle too...if you have space for it. If you are only taking one tube, there is plenty of room in most SUVs for your tube and other gear.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not a good idea to air the tube up to the max before loading in the car for the trip to the lake...especially during warm weather. Ditto for the ride home. Always leave it a bit soft until you are ready to launch. Then air it up to a good firmness...but be prepared to let some air out if the sun gets too hot and the tube gets HARD. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Definitely drop some air pressure as soon as you hit the beach on a hot day. Once the tube is out of the cooling water and in full exposure to the sun, it will heat and swell rapidly.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey there TD finally got out for some bass tubing I'll post a report w/pics later today.

AT
[signature]