Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I use a bobber if Im going for catfish at a lake?
I've been fishing at this lake for a while now, and I haven't had any bites. Im using night crawlers for bait.

Should I use a bobber if Im fishing for catfish at a lake?
[signature]
[fishin]We tightline off a pier using coldworms. We cast out, reel the line tight, set the rod down and wait for the cats to bite. You can see the rod tip move when you get a bite. If you are fishing from the bank use a rod holder that you can put in the ground and do the same thing. Some people put a little bell on the line to let them know when they have a strike.
[signature]
simplest rig is take a hook and sinker attach to the line and cast out wind line until it is tight and put your finger on the line lightly you will notice as soon as the fish hits be quick and yank the pole up to set the hook. Good Luck!
[signature]
In a lake, I always just cast my line out and leave the bail tripped so that the line was free. That way, when the catfish takes the bait, he'll swim off for a bit, holding onto the bait and you just let him run for a few feet. You can see the line uncoil from your reel as he goes. After he uncoils a few loops of line, grab it, turn the crank and set the hook.

River fishing is very different with the current and all, but that's how I used to fish the lakes where I grew up. This tactic works best for catfish, since they're kinda lazy hanging out on the bottom of the lake, swimming by and sniffing/nibbling/tasting your bait before taking the plunge and grabbing it. Also, this helps to keep you from setting the hook prematurely and pulling the bait away from one of those lazy bottom-feeders.

oh...and to answer the bobber question... Nope! no bobber...you want your bait right on the bottom for a catfish. Use a bobber when you want to suspend your bait at a specific depth (like when fishing for crappie, blue gill, etc)
[signature]
Yep open bail all the way on the lake! Like already said, catfish are lazy. Let them run with it for a while before flipping bail and setting the hook. I do fish a lot with bobbers along weed lines. Usually have the meat a few inches above the bottom. Keep the bail open still.
[signature]
try both. use a bobber and fish bottom. try different baits.
[signature]