Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wet fly with water bobber?
[font "Arial"][size 2]Hey we've got a reader question here from the newsletter. Figured this would be the best place to get an answer. So here goes:

How do you rig up a wet fly with a water bobber for trout?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I assume that the individual will be using spinning gear, so it is just a matter of placing the bobber 3 or 4' above the wet fly.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Been a very long time for me, but I will take a stab.
first off, buy the bubbles with the peg in the middle so you can add or subtract water.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...stid=40362

Then you need some sort of stop, be it a swivel or a split shot, something to stop the bubble at a certain length.

As you probably already know, flies do not have the weight to get out on the water with regular fishing line, that is why FLY LINE is tapered and has weight to the end, even the floating. So, the bubble is a way to get the fly out into the water.
Adjusting the length of line from fly to bubble will be a hands on thing.
Fill the bubble with allot of water, you will float the bottom, fill it half full and depending on how fast you retrieve, you can cover the middle. Very little water will be for dry fly or top water.

I have watched nkunz pull fish out right and left with this method, he would be one of the pros I would ask.
Macfly uses this method also.
[signature]
.. this is the bubble/fly method.. it can be used for any type of fly.. I have used it with dry, wet, and nymphs....

advantage of this method is that it allows an angler familiar with using a spinning rig to use flies..

one last thing, the angler has the ability to adjust the cast by adding or taking water out of the bubble float..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
thanks for the cover on this one sis.. I forgot to talk about the swivel at a stopper.. on that note you may also want to place a small plastic bead (available at any store that carries fishing gear) between the swivel and the bubble.. this will help to prevent the loop on the swivel from lodging in the small hole in the center tube of the bubble...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
here are a couple of links that may help your friend out

the first gives a good explanation on what to use, how to rig it, and how to fish it...

[url "http://www.chiff.com/a/fish-bubble.htm"]explanation of the bubble/fly method of fishign[/url]

this one give a good illustartion on how to rig it:

[url "http://www.combat-fishing.com/basicusefulrigs.html#Casting%20bubble%20with"]illustrated rigging of the bubble/fly[/url]

hope this helps..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the great responses!

Quick too! [teeth]
[signature]
welcome...hope those links help your friend catch some fish..

btw one other thing I was told.. that may help.. and this would be dependent on the species (or so I have been told).. is to add a few bb's or very small split shot inside the bubble... this will add a little extra weight.. plus the rattling (much like rattlin jigs for bass).. will actually attract the fish...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have only seen 1 ingredient missing in the posted equations.

I will generally put 4 to 6 of the #06 split shots inside the casting bubble to make a small rattle. This has really proven effective for me and others.

That is one of the Killer techniques for the High Sierras.[cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Is that something different from what MacFly suggested?[Image: scaredworried.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Duh! I just read that.

Now I know I'm blonde![shocked]
[signature]
and I was not gonna say anything.. like.. ... well you know what I mean.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I think that I can get over it though. I did figure out what happened too.

A friend dropped by with some beverages.[Smile] They were not fresh[crazy]..........blah, blah, blah.........................

I do have a saltwater version of the Bubble fly setup if someone would like the recipe.[cool]
[signature]
is that the one where you slide on the stoppers above and below the bubble?

MacFly [cool]

[signature]
That is pretty close. I guess I will divulge the formula now since we are still on topic.

You pick your own gear that you are comfortable with.

You will need a 3 foot leader. 1 end tied to the fly the other to a size 5 swivel.

8inch leader tied to the swivel, going through the x-large casting bubble and tied off to another swivel.

The 2nd swivel will then tie to the line from your rod.

If you are fishing for Bonito or Barracuda with this setup, it is helpfull to use 3 multifaceted glass bead on each side of the bubble for more vibration and noise in the water.[cool]
[signature]
That's how i started fly fishing till i figured there was a funner way. I used one of these kind of floats [url "http://www.cabelas.com/p-0019710111927a.shtml"]http://www.cabelas.com/p-0019710111927a.shtml[/url] made it a snap to adjust leader length and when you was done just untwist the top and it could be reeled right up to the fly. also left very little wake when bobber was full of water and a sink rate of 5 to 6 inches per min. I believe they came in small medium and large. large on a properly spooled spinning reel would let you smack the guy on the other side of the lake just so ya know
[signature]
I never used that kinda system. I always tought that
is like a want to be fly fishing , just dont got what
it takes.(just dont tell that to TD)[Smile]
Kinda like driving toyota and wering ferrari jacket
everywhere.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
actually a bubble fly rig is very useful.. before I started "fly" fishing in the traditional sense by using a full fly fishing rig I used bubble fly... couple of reasons for that.. one.. money.. I had spinning rigs already... just add the bubble and some flies and you are fishing with a "fly".. and since I was not sure what I wanted to do or get I did not want to spend a lot of money on a fly rod rig and end up not liking it...

to me it was an easy transition to fishing with a fly rod by having used a bubble fly rig.. meaning.. I got to see and feel what it was like using flies on a rig I was comfortable with before trying to learn a whole new way of doing things..

and one last thing... I used a bubble fly rig to let my then 7 year old grandson do some fly fishing... small spin casting rig.. wb tied on.. and let him cast and reel in all he wanted.. he never caught anything but he had fun...

oh.. and one last comment.. a question on this forum was once asked.. and that is.. in fly fishing is the angler only suppose to use a fly rig.. or is fly fishing actually fishing with a fly?? [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Hmmmmmmmm............................ You do have a point
or two there[Wink]. I can see the trasition there.
I love fly CASTING as much as fly fishing. I go to the local
park just to fly cast when I cant go fishing and have some
free time. So I guess I do see it from a diff. angle a little.
When I go to Sierras I DO catch more fish fly fishing
then guys slapping bubbles around.
And of course I outfish power baiters in a HUGE way.
But anyways, everyone is free to do what they want.

Is bubble fly fishing a real fly fishing -NO way in hell !

I dont want to sound like a$$ but thats my 2c.

Peter
[signature]
lol... you're not being an a$$.. just close minded.. [laugh](joking)..

I think the one point that someone was trying to make a long time ago is you can fish with a fly either way... but there is only one way to truely fly fish.. :-)..

btw.. it was not me that started that thread a long time ago... so Im just the messenger.. LOL..

MacFly
[signature]