Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
neophyte question
Hope this is the right place, just wanted an opinion. I have one of those cabelas letort combos in 5wt, and in near perfect conditions with 5 wt wf line, I can consistently cast about 50 ft sometimes close to 60. How does that stack up? I dont know because I dont have anyone that i fish with that i would consider an expert.

Thanks
[signature]
That is a very good cast for a neophyte. It is important to cast accurately. Distance will come with time.[cool]
[signature]
well i am fairly accurate too, i was just wondering about the distance, I cant do that all the time, but i can feel it when it is all correct and the line shoots out there [Wink]
[signature]
It all comes in good time.

I deal with mild breezes in the face while casting. My method doesn't use any false casting but more of a whip or single shoot out.

My flies are also heavier and allow for this method.[cool]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hi there okbow68 and welcome to the FF forum. At one time I thought that fly casting was all about distance. Then I discovered that I wasn't going to catch many fish trying to cast a fly across the Mississippi. This type of action is a mood point when it comes to fishing brooks/creeks and areas where there is a lot of vegetation to contend with. So I added many different forms of casting including the all important roll cast to my repertoire. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I will say, on a river, I start of maybe 5' in front of me and work out from there. This is great practice as allot of fish hang in closer.
Granted I also look for structures in faster water which require distance casting at time.
But, on thing, when I fish the Snake river which is BIG there are times that no matter how far I cast, they are about 5' farther away [laugh]
I am not familiar with your waters, but 50 to 60' is a fair distance and probably a norm would be more 30' to 50'.
Accuracy and delicacie matter more in dry fly fishing, in nymphing not as important.
The line you are using is FAIR at best. A better line WILL improve distance. Line is probably the next most important thing next to fly/presentation.
I agree with Dry Rod about learning the roll cast. I use it more than anything. But double Hauling is the only way to achieve distance.

Fg
[signature]