Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scorpion
I was hiking out on R Mountain (Menan Buttes) the other day, and I decided to see if I could catch any of the scorpions that I had heard live there. After about 40 minutes of flipping over rocks I got one. As far as I can tell this little guy is called a Northern Scorpion. I was just wondering if anybody else has caught or seen any elsewhere, or know of any different species.
[signature]
Haven't seen a scorpian yet, but I have seen a few of them "child of earth" bugs. Those always freak me out.
[signature]
I used to find Scorpions in Rigby and in the Roberts area. I lived with relatives in those areas and we would look in every nook and crany on their farms. We left no stones un turned.

These Scorpions were medium to light brown in color.[cool]
[signature]
northerns do not pose a serious risk to humans, unless you have a major allergic reaction to their venom. scorpions are nocturnal and the easiest way to find them is with a black light. they literally glow in the dark.
[signature]
Thanks, I was wondering how poisonous they were. I hadn't really done any research.
I tried the black light thing once with no luck. But I didn't really try too long or hard. But it was pretty cool with the one I caught. Unfortunately I couldn't get any of the glowing scorpion pictures to turn out or I would have posted them here.
[signature]
*generally* scorpions with thicker tails are more venomous. that's because they let their tail/stinger do the killing instead of their pinchers. there aren't many 'deadly' scorpions in the u.s., although one nasty bugger comes to my mind - the bark scorpion. haven't seen any scorps down here in the magic valley. in fact, haven't seen any rattlers either!
[signature]
I used to find those scorpions all the time on scout camping trips on the butte. Never had any problems with them but i did check my sleeping bag carefully.

Windriver
[signature]
Are gonna fry him?...it looks like he is on one my scaped teflon pans lOl
[signature]
You can find those little guys any where in the valley with lava rock. West of I-15 is the most common place to find them. They do hurt when your stung by them, but nothing worse than a bee sting. Early spring when the snow is melting is a good time to find them sunning them selves on rocks.
[signature]
Go check out Cinder Butte for rattlers or the South Hills in the summer.[Wink]
[signature]
Ririe Res. has tons of rattlers and scorpions we go flip over rocks and find them caught one and had it for a pet for a little over a year then it died ririe also has a big big rattler population they even swim in the water i know that sounds absurd but they do go take a walk around the water and see what you can see just watch out for snakes.
[signature]
I have seen them at Balanced Rock Park west of Twin "swimming" on the north side of the hwy. Sickening[crazy]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I always like catching creepy stuff (drives my wife nuts [laugh][sly]). I still haven't caught a big rattler yet, maybe next year at Ririe.
[signature]
i caught a big one in Burley last year in a spud field it was about 4.5 feet long i used a three foot trowel as a snake stick i caught it and then was blown away by its strength it was amazingly strong then i tried to put it in a burlap sac and as i dropped it in it turned in mid drop and almost tagged me it was so close but i got lucky so i lopped its head off and chased my boss with it he was terrified.[Wink][sly]
[signature]
Probly not the best way to ask for a raise, but..........[angelic]
[signature]
lol its a goverment job the bosses dont controle any raises only time can give you a raise. thank heavans cause i screw around to much and its almost impossible to get fired from it as well now can you guess what agency i work for.
[signature]
Are you with the DOA? I work for the BOR.
[signature]
good job i am with DOA how did ya know? the screwing off part? lol[laugh]
[signature]