Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas summertime flounder rig
[Wink][Image: 000224.gif]

[size 2]

Here is a rig that I use for flounder fishing. I use any baitfish that I catch and I cannot tell that the flounders care much. Although They seem to like small fish better than shrimp. If you use pinfish clip their dorsal fin off with a pair of scissors. It seems to help the flounder get it in his mouth. Hook all bait through the lips starting at the bottom lip. Take care when casting. Mullet seem to fly off if you cast too hard. You can use a a Cajun Rattler bead ( available at wal mart ) in place of one of the beads by the hook. It adds a little extra sound to the rig. Use bright colored beads ( red, green, pink, flo ). Use dime sized are smaller blades in chrome, gold, chartreuse, or flo pink. You do not have to use a clevis for the blade but it spins a little better if you do. The carolina keeper is also optional .The floats are available at wal mart and academy made by coastal tackle and are cheap. They are about 2" by 1/2 " and come in many colors too. The float keeps the bait off the bottom. The size of the weight depends on depth of water and speed of the current.

Fish the rig by letting it sink and slowly drag it across the bottom keeping the weight in contact with the bottom.

Use this rig near drop offs, channel edges, and pot holes. The flounder seem to be just off the deep edge of a drop and move up on the edge when the sun gets high and bright.

It takes some practice to know when to set the hook on this rig. It seems that they will grab it and just lay there. Sometime you think you are hung up only to feel the fish let go when you pull. After a few second they will swallow it are swim off to the side. That is when you cross their eyes. Sometimes you can actually slowly pull the fish to you with out it letting go. This comes in handy if you are fishing in and around docks. They will let you drag them along for a ways, out of cover, then set the hook.A small dip net is handy for wade fishing. Flounder are notorious for getting off at your feet.

Flounder seem to be the bull dogs of salt water. I honestly believe the will bite things just to kill it . I have reeled some all the way to me and they didn't have the hook, just the bait.

Last summer I caught enough flounder on this rig that I just cooked the last of them last weekend.

Believe me,

This rig works very well.

GOOD LUCK[/size]
[signature]
I'M GOING TO TRY IT THIS WEEKEND , FOR STEELHEAD ! IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S JUST THE TICKET FOR GETTING THRU THE BOTTOM HASERDS THAT INFEST THE RIVER . I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES . THANKS , LONEHUNTER .
[signature]
Thanks allot for the info and diagram of this rig. I have seen them but never got a good enough look to build them myself. I knew they work. I now have a chance at landing one of the elusive flounders that lay close to the ferry landing at Port Aransas. I have to say for me this diagram and usage information is priceless for me. For that I thank you for shareing the info. The flounders have missed my hooks for about 20 years now. I now have what I need to brake that cycle. Thanks again.
[signature]
You are welcome.And like I say and believe, when it comes to this rig, if they are there, they will bite it.
[signature]