Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with steering problem
I bought a used boat this year. It runs great but have found a pretty big problem. When I open it up or get much past half throddle I can't turn left. i hear a clicking noise under the steering column. I fish only and rarely use the bigger motor 115 Suzuki on 18 1/2 foot Starcraft pro walleye. Since I don't really use the motor, just the kicker motor it's not a dire emergency but would like to fire up the big one and get off the lake in a hurry if I had too.

Does anyone have any idea what this problem could be?
[signature]
Sounds like a big problem to me also, might be worth taking it into Lee marina, unless you plan on fixing it yourself. Sounds like there is a problem where steering column connects to your steering cable, what year is the boat? WH2
[signature]
Is it that you can't turn right because of the torque? Does the boat pull super hard right?
[signature]
I think it is because of the torque. If I slow down it turns fine. Makes a clicking noise in the steering column area if I'm going fast. I litterally only run the motor when I load and unload the boat. Other then that the kicker just runs all day if I'm trolling.
[signature]
The boat is a 94 bought new in 96. Motor is a 96. I have a guy who is going to look at it. Unfortunately I just had a new baby girl which has monopolized every second. So when I can go fishing or manage to hook the boat up to take to his shop I always just take it fishing because I don't use the motor really. The steering hooks up to the kicker with a bar that steers with the regular steering wheel. Works fine steering until I fire the big motor and have it humming over half throddle. It's only a 15 motor but half throddle is faster then I need to go to be honest.
[signature]
I put a 15 motor, meant to put it's a 115
[signature]
I have a Nitro Bass boat with a 125hp Merc. Thats the max HP for the boat. I had a similar problem. I was running a 3 blade Laser prop. I switched to a 4 blade Trophy plus and it help a lot. Also when I trim the boat on plane it will eliminate the pull. I have been told hydraulic steering helps to but have not done that yet. You have a trim tab located above the prop. That may need to be adjusted. I removed mine on advice from a prop tech shop in the midwest. Search the web because it is a very common problem with lots of boaters. I lost a few MPH when I changed props but gained a lot of handling and improved holeshot. I was doing a few over 60mph but now in the mid 50's but a way better handling ride. I also added a kinda fin that directs the water flow away from the shaft. [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_22972_200002000_200000000_200002000_200-2-0"]http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_22972_200002000_200000000_200002000_200-2-0[/url]
This is a torque tab from Bass Pro Shops. It helped as well. Good luck and search the web. It is more common than you realize.
[signature]
Check the trim tab. It will stick down just to the rear of the prop. There will be a bolt hole on top of the lower unit to access the bolt that holds the tab in place. If you can't turn left, you need to turn the trim tab to the left (counter clockwise looking from the top). Don't move it more than maybe 1/8" to 1/4" at a time. You'll have to experiment a little to get it right.
[signature]
I am experiencing the same issue with my Johnson 150. It turns right freely when I am running strong but takes two hands and muscle to turn left at the higher speeds. Right now my trim tab is set straight back. Are you saying I should start adjusting slightly to the right. It will not turn any more to the left as you look at it from the back?????[Image: dumb.gif]
[signature]
It takes a little pondering to get it figured out. Think of it like this. To make your boat turn left, the motor has to turn clockwise looking down from the top. The trim tab is located quite a ways behind the axis the motor rotates on to turn. You want to help force the rear of the motor to the left to get that clockwise rotation of the motor. In order to accomplish that force you need to deflect the water flow to the right. [#ff0000]OHBOYOBOYOBOY!!! Did I screw up. You gotta turn the back of trim tab to the RIGHT or counter clockwise looking from the top. to help the boat turn left. [/#ff0000]
[#000000][/#000000]
SUBMOA, I sure hope I didn't screw you up too bad with my dumbheaded first post to you.
[signature]
It's late at night & I'm goin brain dead. How the he-- can you turn something to the right & have it go counter clockwise? The trim tab has gotta go to the RIGHT or CLOCKWISE looking from the top.

I been thinking about that clicking too & that might be serious. I'm sure it has just a single cable as the double cable setup is pretty much history. The single cable works off a rack & pinion (a little round gear on the steering column is the pinion & a long flat bar with gear teeth on it that is the rack). When you turn the steering wheel the pinion moves the rack which is hooked to the steering cable. What I'm afraid the clicking might be is the pinion actually jumping over the teeth on the rack, thus the clicking sound. If that's the case, there is either a serious wear problem or something is broken that is allowing that jumping teeth to happen. A good way to tell if the pinion is jumping is to get the boat heading straight and note the steering wheel position. Then turn the boat to the right until you hear several clicks. Get the boat running straight again and note the wheel position. If it's exactly the same as it was you probably don't have a problem. If the wheel is in a different position, the pinion is jumping teeth & you'd better get it to a boat shop.
[signature]

Thanks for the tip. I had it fixed already and it was the teeth being stripped out. I had the whole rack and pinion replaced. I haven't had a chance to put it on the water since but the mechanic assures me it's good to go.
[signature]