Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zebra Mussels at Pelican Lake
I was at Starvation Res. this last Friday & Saturday and the DWR came to check our boat for the Zebra Mussels. While they were doing the inspection she said two days ago (That would have been Wednesday) they found Zebra Mussels at Pelican Lake. Apparantly they did a study and they found some in the water. They are now in Utah according to the DWR. Please keep those boats clean.
[signature]
If that is true I think the owner of the boat bringing them in should be punished big time if they could catch them(of course I realize it's too late) With the increased PR about this problem I can't believe boaters would still take a chance and launch boats without washing the crud from other states, unbelievable. I love pelican, fun fishing and never too many people ( esp water shiers[mad]) If anyone hears anymore about this can you please post, if it's in the northeast its only a matter of time before it invades other places. I sure hope what you heard isn't true
[signature]
Not only are they at Pelican but they were just found in Red Fleet as well. After talking to the DWR guys and gals up at Starvation (the Starvation Classic was this weekend and they were spreading the word) there was talk about using heavy amounts of rotenone in Red Fleet not only to remove the walleye but the mussels as well. This was just talk, not written in stone.
I fished a tournament at Pelican in the Spring and was dissapointed to see carp in there, never thought I'd see mussels in there as well. It makes me wonder if these "out of the way" reservoirs have mussels how much longer it's going to be before every reservoir has them. From what I was told the DWR has setup 'disinfenctant stations' at Pelican and Red Fleet to eliminate any further contamination, I hope it's not too late.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Well that just tears it. I wonder which other water in the vicinity the idiot that brought them in went to.[/#000000][/font]
[signature]
"Not only are they at Pelican but they were just found in Red Fleet as well."

Looks like it was the same gal I spoke too. She also mentioned Red Fleet.
[signature]
I hit Utah Lake friday and the guy at the gate said that muscles were found in Utah Lake as well. They have a "no water left in the boat" policy now on UL at the Utah State Park and also a spraying station. They are telling everyone to make sure there is no water left in your boat from the lake, and to take the precautions with cleaning your boat after being put in there.
[signature]
Here is a list of the ones I have been told have them...

1.Redfleet.
2.Pelican.
3.Utah Lake.
4.Midview (Borham)

And I would bet Steinaker and Flaming Gorge...
[signature]
I know how to get rid of those mussels just let my x wife cook for them it will choke the crap out of em! But on the serious side does anybody know what kind of research is being done on these things. ive looked at the us fish and wildlife page and found nothing
[signature]
I am going to get stickers done that say.

Please douche your boat. Smile
[signature]
I haven't hear of any thing...
[signature]
I would personally like to thank the bozo that felt that he/she was so special that he/she did not have to follow decon procedures after boating on an infected water. Hope none of us ever learn your identity, because your name is MUD ( check history to learn what that means).
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I will second that. [/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]When I went to renew the boat registration I asked to see if they have some new stickers out to put on your car or trailer that warn about these nuissance creatures. What surprises me is that they don't have anything. There is not even a short sentence on the registration renewal to tell abou them.[/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]I feel that there is not enough done on this issue. At the major power producing reservoirs like the Gorge (where it would cost billions to repair damage to the pipes and turbines) there are just small signs to warn about the mussles. What are they about 8 inches by 12? There should be big old red sign at each ramp. [/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]What makes me even more Angry is all the talk about boat inspections ever since last year. Yep, all this talk of state troopers pulling over out-of-state boats and in state ones too. A big joke I tell you what. I myself have not seen a single boat pulled over or inspected at any water/highway. This tells me there just isn't any serious action. I might be wrong but what would be devastating is if in the end all of our fisheries/power generators suffer becuase we wait for the problem to happen and do not prevent it. It is like the big fishery collapses in the Northwest and Alaska. They waited for the bad to happen and are now complaining. Take measures early to prevent disasters. [/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Here is an interesting link about the mussels.
[url "http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/biology/a_zm.html"]http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/biology/a_zm.html[/url]

"Zebra mussels do have a positive impact on some native species. Many native fish, birds, and other animals eat young and adult zebra mussels. Migratory ducks have changed their flight patterns in response to zebra mussel colonies. Lake sturgeon feed heavily on zebra mussels, as do yellow perch, freshwater drum, catfish, and sunfish. The increase in aquatic plants due to increased water clarity provides excellent nursery areas for young fish and other animals, leading to increases in smallmouth bass populations in Lake St. Clair and the Huron River. However, these native species do not feed heavily enough on zebra mussels to keep the populations under control."
[signature]
[quote element] Lake sturgeon feed heavily on zebra mussels, [/quote]

Alright, when are they going to plant those sturgeon in Pelican and Utah Lake. [Wink] I think they should get some in Flaming Gorge and most other reservoirs and large rivers (do we have any?) just as a precautionary measure.
[signature]
You have got to be kidding !!!![/b] What few postitives are far outweighed by all the negatives. In a lake like Pelican for instance, they will carpet the bottom, choke off the natural vegetation, which will reduce the aquatic insect population, which will result in a decline in the food supply for the bluegill, resulting in a reduction in the food supply for the bass. Please tell me how an increase in duck food offsets that. Top that off with the fact that Pelican is used for irrigation and they will clog the pumps, resulting in higher irrigation costs, resulting in higher food prices. There is NOTHING [/b]positive about these critters. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Posted on the Trib site yesterday

http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_10470714
[signature]
Here is a happy note...[mad][mad] I fished the Berry today and no one no where to be seen was anyone asking about the waters you have fished or where your boats have been...

But they say they are Checking????

No one that I know of has been checked at Pelican until now...
[signature]
[cool]Hey Craig, how was the fishing? Catch any greenbacks, eyes, or just cats?
[signature]
[cool]LOL!!! I can relate to that one!![laugh][laugh]
[signature]
I fished Pelican twice in the spring. For all I know I could be a bozo [Wink]. What if them little buggers were in/on my boat leaving Pelican? It was not an infected area at the time but it is now [frown]. I've been to Pelican,the Gorge, Sand Hollow, Quail, Utah Lake, Gunlock, the Berry, Jordanelle, Deer Creek, Pineview, Mantua, Newton, Hyrum and some others. I have not once done the necessary actions to my boat to kill any mussels, there was no need to. Nor do I know anyone who has.Unfortunately it may be too late to do anything about it now. I guess we'll wait for the test results to confirm the findings, I'd hate to be the guy that has to report that!
[signature]