Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It looks so easy
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I doubt if anyone has ever jumped out of a crib, grabbed a fly rod and became a proficient fly angler from the get go. So how does one learn the delicate art of fly casting?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Well there are many ways to go about becoming at least adequate at this sport. Off the top of my head will attempt to list several ways to go about getting ready to tease your prey. Feel free to ad to this list.[/size][/#008000][/font]

[ul][li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Learn from a friend[/size][/#008000][/font]
[li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Read a book, magazine or on-line publications[/size][/#008000][/font]
[li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Watch videos by the masters[/size][/#008000][/font]
[li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Watch other people[/size][/#008000][/font]
[li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Watch YouTube's how to[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/li][/ul]
[ul][li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Get instructions from your local fly shop[/size][/#008000][/font]
[li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Take lessons from a professional[/size][/#008000][/font]
[li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Join a club & get instruction[/size][/#008000][/font]
[li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Go to a qualified school[/size][/#008000][/font]
[li]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hit the waters running[/size][/#008000][/font]
[/li][/ul]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Well with all those illustrations yours truly hit the water running. Prior to buying a rod & reel, I had seen some folks on the local waters making fly casting look so easyyyyyy. If you haven't got a clue as to how to cast, then easy is not a good choice of words. So I went back to the fly shop and got some friendly instructions to at least get me started on my next trip to the river.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]So my fellow fly anglers, how did you first get started fly casting?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Fly casting is no different than any other skill or trade. It is learned by doing it. Experience. Practice makes perfect. Repetition.

In order to become proficient as a fly angler, one must experience the variety of situations the activity presents. Currents, winds, fly choice, fish location and activity, leader and line combinations, water type and size, etc. Each cast poses its own set of circumstances.

There isn't a book, video, or instructor on the planet that addresses them all, and each caster has his/her unique style.

Time on the water is what works, and if that time is with someone who can give pointers and teach, all the much better.

I leaned by going fishing every day that I could, making it the number one priority over anything else. Lucky for me, that was extremely often in my younger years, as it is today. I read a lot (no videos or you-tube then) and fished with a couple of very good anglers once in a while. Mostly though, I spent time ALONE on the water. I also was lucky to spend A LOT of days on the Henry's Fork (Ranch section), watching and learning from some of the very best of that era. (Lawson, Lempke, Kinsey, LaFontaine, Harrop, and a host of not-famous, yet excellent casters and anglers) We called it Dead Drift University! I was also lucky to guide one summer in Alaska with Steve Rajeff, and another with Mel Krieger's son Jan. Those guys could cast a whole fly line!

But, its not about distance. After 35+ years of fly casting, I still encounter unique situations nearly every time out when I need to make a certain cast in a certain way to get the take. Once you reach a point where the rod becomes as natural as just an extension of your arm, it does become very easy. It's like taking the fly between your thumb and index finger and placing it right where you want it!
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Hey there Tarponjim - thanks for the feedback.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I think it is an ongoing education, one that you never fully master, but fun trying.
Like Tarpon said, with Time and Dues you do get more proficient and there for easier
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]You have got that right. Since I can't get on the water whenever I wish, the back yard becomes my practice field. Dew on the lawn is not quite like the real wet stuff but it is sure better than thinking about the cast. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]