Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellow Perch size
I caught a yellow perch yesteday that was just a hair under 14". I couldn't believe the size of it when I landed it. I was fishing for bass and walleye with a 5" Berkley Power Shaky Worm on a 1/4 oz Tru Tungsten Ikey Head. All the yellow perch I've caught in the past were 6 or 8 inches.

How big do yellow perch usually get?
[signature]
[Smile]Im Sorry I Cant Ancer Ure Question But I Went To The S.C. State Forum On This Site Here BigFishTackle An Our State Record Was Jus Over 3lbs.So U Was Lookin Good Here I Catch Alot Of Pirch Here In Jan. N Feb. An Most Are Usly Id Say 12 In. But Acasuly I Catch A Wopper About Like Urs But Never Mesured Them The Woppers Usly Are Femals Full o Eggs Normly Id Let Them Go. I Fish For Crappy An The Perch Get Me Warmed Up For The Fill Of My line With There Striks On my Doll Flys Thay Are Fery Agresiv When They Spawn. UreFrind Froger..Findum Fishum Felayum Fryum Fergetum Till Sunrise.
[signature]
That's a nice size perch. Years ago I caught a bunch around 15 - 16 inches while trout fishing of all things. They were in the Ausable River around Grayling Michigan. My great aunt and uncle at the time used to fish for perch on the lakes in that area from their boat and they said they used to catch them over 18 inches once and awhile.

I remember having big fish frys with them after a trip out for perch on the lake. We used to fish for them with little minnows. Never heard of them biting on plastics.

MN&Gs Dad
[signature]
That's a pretty good perch in anybody's lake. But not exceptional compared to how big they can grow. It depends a lot on where you're fishing.

Perch can grow to about four pounds.

Until the lamprey and alewife invasion, Lake Michigan was known for its jumbo perch, which typically went 16-18 inches. There was even a commercial fishery for them.

I used to live on a small lake in northern Illinois that was a perch factory. The average fish was 12-13 inches.

Most lakes that support perch are like bluegill lakes, however. There are lots of small ones, and a few trophy sized. I would guess the average perch, across the country, runs about 9 inches.

Brook
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies. The reservoir I caught this one in is full of schools of small perch. Its a huge, deep reservoir with Bluegills, Walleye, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, some Brown Trout, and a TON of Chain Pickerel that gobble up all the small fish of the other species.
[signature]
they are known to have ability to reach 20+ inches depending on the environment.

The world record yellow perch is 4 lbs. 3 oz.

Many specimen have been reported over 3 lbs in Russia, and if Soviets would have kept fish and game records back then, then who knows what the world record would be, 5 lbs?

Here is the Maryland state record perch
[Image: 2007record_yellow_perch.jpg]
[signature]