Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge ICE Report- 12/17/08
Well the ice is on, and I wasn't the only one that attempted a trip uplake. Coming down the hill from Sage Creek there was ice as far as I could see downlake (see pic). [#ff4040]I'm not sure of the thickness though.[/#ff4040]
[#ff4040][/#ff4040]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=43118"][/url][inline "Sage Cr.JPG"]

I hit the Firehole ramp area and there were already two other parties on the ice. Ice thickness was about 4 inches near the launch. Fishing was slow, and the other groups managed a few burbot. I left around 7:30pm, with only 4 burbot plus a couple of crayfish (see pic).

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=43117"][/url][inline Firehole12-17-08.JPG]

Burbot ranged from 16-20 inches. I caught two on a tip-up in 10ft of water rigged with a glow grub and sucker. The other two came on rods in 30ft of water rigged with a Rapala Jigging Shad Rap and a Buckshot spoon, both tipped with sucker and scented in anchovy Smelly Jelly. I also missed a few light hitters on the tip-ups in 10ft and 35ft of water. Not much of pattern to go by.

It was cold when I got there, around 20F, and even colder when I left, around 8F. The wind blew off and on, which made it uncomfortable, but when you're busy with fish it wasn't bad. Not much of a fish report, but I know some of you are itching to hit the ice, so at least it's an ice report! Hope it helps, Ryno
[signature]
Good report Ryno. Your dog looks thrilled. I have been thinking the ice should be coming on at Firehole soon. I am going to get up there sometime during the holidays.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Great report. Finally, the weather and everything has come together. [/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I changed my mind about this weekend. Now that you said the lake is frozen down to Sage Creek Road by next weekend there will be good ice at Lost Dog. And it looks like there will be some snow Friday knight so I am sure Wyoming will close I-80 between Evanston and Rock Springs. Last year I waited at the gate for 10 hours for a ridiculous 2 inches of snow on the road.[crazy].[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#000000]Not a bad size to them burbot too, and it looks like your dog likes to pose for a pic. [Wink] I like to make mine pull the sled for me [laugh]. Well thanks for the report. Sure makes it easier to plan our trips.[Smile][/#000000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#000000][/#000000][/font]
[signature]
Awesome! Last year on this very day (night) is when I caught my first burbot. It's good to hear the ice is forming. Like always, thanks for the report. You are our eyes up at the Gorge.
[signature]
Thanks for posting your report Ryan, won't be long now until LD is frozen, from the sounds of it. it will happen this weekend, if were lucky.
[signature]
Way to go!

The best news for me is that you caught Burbot on tip-ups! We need to get the WY F&G to let us have 10 or 15 tip-ups each. Then we could lay a hurt'in on them.
[signature]