Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Berry Icey road?
Want an ice road at strawberry?
[signature]
Just stroken my pole![angelic]
[signature]
No matter how much grooming you do, it will be a pitiful mess when the slush monster appears. You don't stand a chance against him. Keep your honey holes to yourself, why would you want another person in a snow cat going over there?[crazy]
[signature]
Bump!

Herd of a sweet honey hole up to Causey. Apparently their catching huge browns up there. Shhh its a secret!
[signature]
I would be happy to just have a functioning restroom or two at The Strawberry Marina during the ice fishing season. It has got to be an ugly (let alone extremely unsanitary) mess every spring up there. They used to leave the restrooms open all winter and then they started locking those but they at least brought in a few outhouses. However, last winter they didn't even bring them in.
[signature]
Bump!

No kiddin whats up with the crapper deal. I was at the marina this spring at ice off. Toilet paper and scat everywhere. Out fishing I needed to go so (to much hot cocoa) beached and ran up to the bathroom at renegade. Locked and there was crap all around the building. Plain nasty if you ask me. [mad]
[signature]
Whether you want it or not IT WONT WORK! Like I said before and Lunkerhunter mentioned, it just couldn't possibly work. It's like getting snow in the Sahara and building a snowman and expecting it to be there for a month, it just wont happen.
Other than that it would be a complete waste of money and time. You can go wherever you want in the summer with a boat and wherever you want with a snowmobile in the winter.

Dumb Poll [Wink]
[signature]
Based on what! Your experience walking to your spring!

I had no knowledge of ice roads prior to me proposing an ice rd on strawberry. But I've been educating myself on the subject.

To the contrary the very reason ice roads are built is to combat deep snow and slush. And at he same time it exposing the ice making the ice thicker and stronger than surrounding snow covered ice. Those who know say after a big snow you wont have a problem with slush rather standing water. Which will quickly freeze when exposed to cold temps. After several of these flood events the road actually sits higher than surrounding ice. Eliminating slush and water. As for late in the season the safest ice on the lake is the road. The road will be the last to melt.

I have been corresponding with a man who runs a fishing lodge in Alaska. There are several lakes surrounding the lodge and they plow basically exactly what I'm describing. Uses a Ford F150 with the bed removed and starts plowing when he gets 10in of ice. The area also gets a lot of snow 300 to 500 in annually. So the feasibility of the road doesn't seam to be in question to me.

It really suprises me that the notion of limited access is so popular here at BFT just judging on the results of the poll so far. My suspicions are that the general fishing public would embrace such a emenity. And maybe its that the hardcore dudes around here just don't want to share. I don't get it. Yet some of these same guys will post a report on the world wide web telling all about the good fortune they may have had. Strikes me as contradictive.

HookJaw, You wouldn't have a beef with me because I wouldn't respond to your PMs a couple yrs ago would you?

Or do you make a habit out of being negative toward anybody who has an idea you don't agree with?
Enlighten me the all Knowing![unimpressed]
[signature]
I don't think Hookjaw was slamming you. It's hard to tell the intent from behind a keyboard.

The ice roads up north are made for one reason to make money. not just a few hundred dollars but millions of dollars its just not feasible to have an ice road on strawberry for fisherman.
[signature]
[quote ceedubya] Want an ice road at strawberry?[/quote]

Hooolleeeeshhhheeeet, you have any idea how heavy a groomer is? And how expensive they are if they fall through???

Recap of last year:

[url "http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/idaho/stories/NW_011808IDN_groomer_stuck_LJ.55f44d1.html"]http://www.nwcn.com/...tuck_LJ.55f44d1.html[/url]

[Image: Groomer_211L.jpg?PHPSESSID=32c6687599456...6128f5a050]

Cost them over $150,000 just to get THAT one out... and the groomer itself was totalled. That was over 24" of ice btw.

-DallanC
[signature]
Quote:It really suprises me that the notion of limited access is so popular here at BFT just judging on the results of the poll so far. My suspicions are that the general fishing public would embrace such a emenity. And maybe its that the hardcore dudes around here just don't want to share. I don't get it. Yet some of these same guys will post a report on the world wide web telling all about the good fortune they may have had. Strikes me as contradictive.

there is plenty of access nobody is stoping anyone from walking across the ice, riding an atv or riding a snowmobile.
[signature]
HookJaw_Brimhall wrote:[/quote]

Dumb Poll [Wink][/quote]

Maybe I misunderstood![Wink]
Sorry Hookjaw or anybody I have offended.

Next time a cat goes threw the ice call me I will remove it for one hell of a lot less the $150,000. That cat was not on no ice rd.[Wink]

It very well may be that it simply wont work or there is no support. But preliminary research has told me diffrent.

I guess the question should be. If there was an ice rd so to speak. (not for trucks, cars, or semi's) would you use it on your ATV or Snowmobile to access the lake better when there is to much snow to get out on the lake?

I'm lazy I thought I could get away with "Want an ice rd at Strawberry?"[laugh]

I agree with the fact that it is difficult to convey attitude as well is interpret. (behind a keyboard) Often I read my posts or replies and they come off more defensive than I actually feel.

So no hard feeling! [angelic]
[signature]
It's all good,[Wink]
[signature]
So you love the ice road idea! Great! Glad to have you onboard![laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
well not the ice road across strawberry but if you want to get one going across willard. im there for ya. LOL[Wink]
[signature]
[quote ceedubya]Next time a cat goes threw the water call me I will remove it for one hell of a lot less the $150,000. [/quote]

They tried to winch it out with a Semi-wrecker but the cable snapped. They then had to bring in a US Army recovery Tank... it was an actual tank with a 80 ton winch on it. They tried other things to winch it but nothing could budge it. They had to saw out the ice with chainsaws, almost 200 yards worth and bring it out as a whole big block of ice. It was a huge mess and was in the press for a week as they worked on getting it out.

Sleds get around on the berry easily and quickly. Dont see much need for a road imo.

-DallanC
[signature]
What ever machine that would be used ATV, Truck, Snow Cat, Or whatever to plow would be insured for such an event. There is some real science concerning how ice reacts in diffrent conditions. Certainly one would be prudent to have some real expert consultation before attempting this. As a matter of fact the insurance company would demand it. It has been done many times not necessarily to make money but to just improve sportsmen accesses. It can be done relatively inexpensively. Who know maybe some of you DH guys could work off some hrs in the winter and do some fishing while you where there.

Up until two yrs ago I always had a snowmobile. I sold them now all I have is a ATV. Maybe I need a more minimalist attitude but by the time I fill my shed full of crap its probably 200lbs. I have spent to much time with the slush monster to want to go out when I know the conditions will be tuff.

Another point, when the monster does leark. Where do you try to travel on an ATV? Answer. On someone elses frozen tracks.[crazy]
[signature]
I would be happy if they would plow the road to the marina and parking lot much better! And open the bathrooms!!!
[signature]
I havent noticed are the bathrooms open this yr?
[signature]
The bathrooms at The Strawberry Marina are not open this year.[:/] During the restaurant hours one can use the restroom in the restaurant (at least I have taken advantage of this).
[signature]