Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AUTOMATIC HOOK-SETTER
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a automatic hook-setter. What it is, is a fishing rod holder that will hook the fish when you get a bite. It is used when bait fishing from shore.
My father and I invented a rod holder that will hook fish for you. It is real cool. I have heard there were rod holders like this but I have never had seen one, just the one we invented. If there is, could you please let me know the name and how they work.
I just want to know if there is a market for something like this.
Thanks
[signature]
I've seen a few of them, but all of them have been hand made too. I dnt prefer to use one maybe some of the other guys do, but I'm way more hands on. Plus my A.D.D. and really high energy levels make it really hard to put my poles down for long.
[signature]
I really like using mine. It makes it more fun when I can eat a sandwich or go to the bathroom and still catch a fish when my hand are full. We use them alot when we night fish for catfish with two poles. It seams like when we are getting one pole ready the other pole has a fish caught and ready for us to reel it in.
We were wondering if people would like to buy these hook-setters. the only thing is they are kind of pricey to build. We build them with aluminum square stock so they are sturdy and light weight.
[signature]
Check ebay. There's 2 or 3 selling their own inventions. pretty simple designs. The only problem I would see is it only works if the fish swims away from shore, pulling the line and triggers the mechanism. They don't look like they work if the fish swim towards your rod.
[signature]
I have also seen the ones on e-bay. I was wondering if they actually work or if anybody has tried one. The product we developed works on all sized fish but it also is triggered by fish swimming away.
[signature]
Would it work if fish picks up the bait and swim towards you? (As in towards the pole)
[signature]
Yes, as the fish swims toward you this causes the line to bow and this pulls resistance against the fishing rod witch triggers the hook setter. I think I said that right.
[signature]
Sounds like it would be better than the ones sold on ebay. A couple of the inventors have video clips of their devices working where a plastic/metal device is hooked to the tip of the rod and pulls down on the rod, bowing it. But it looks like the only way the device is released is if the fish takes the bait and creates tension on the line. I thought about making one myself. How does yours work?
[signature]
Its kind of hard to explain but I will do my best. How it works is, a spring loaded fishing rod holder that holds the pole down buy the reel like a normal rod holder. You cock the rod holder into position. Cast out your bait then put your fishing pole into the rod holder. The rod holder has pin that clips onto the string just in front of the reel. When the fish bites the bait, it pulls the line which pulls the clothes pin. When the pin gets pulled on it activates the trigger mechanism. Then it detaches the mechanism and lets the rod holder whip back.
It is made out of aluminum square stock so it makes it a little expensive to build but it is so cool to see it work. You can leave your rod in the holder and the spring will fight the fish until you get to your pole.
I sure hope I explained that right.
[signature]