Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aluminum Boats
Hey guys, I wanted to ask you all your opinion on something and hopefully get a better idea of what I can expect here. I recently bought a 14' SeaKing Aluminum V-Hull. I'm wanting to use it for river fishing only, and I'm powering it with 2 trollers (took the outboard off to eliminate weight). But my main question is this: How many of you have ever owned this boat or one similar to it, and how did it hold up as far as amount of passengers/weight etc.
This boat had the old bench seats in it, but I mounted a captains chair and two more pedistle chairs,which I know probably lowered the center of gravity on it,but I don't plan on standing up much in the first place (not that it would be that easy anyhow).
I'm just wondering how well aluminum boats of this size can actually perform on the water. I have looked all over google,and it says to find the serial number on the transom, which is non-existant since one of the outboard clamps got tightened down on it at some period. So I can't look up the weight load by doing that.
I'm just wondering what you guys think. I payed 200 bucks for the old boat and if it will hold me and a friend or two, I'm gonna love it. Thanks!
[signature]
I have a 12' boat similar to yours. I can hall 4 people in it comfortably, but if we are going fishing i only take 3. i did modify it slightly though. i put a floor in it and tore out the center seat. then i put a 45" box up the left and right side of the boat. One is a livewell and the other is storage. now a got a front and rear seat and one on each side, with a nice wide walk way. i can not remember the weight limit to my boat, i would check but it is all covered up and there is 12" of snow on it. that being said i don't think you should worry about the weight of you, 2 buddies and a pile of gear. Trust me you will be fine. i know mine can hold alot and i have not came close to overloading it. Trust me i sometimes go overboard with gear. BTW this is with a 10hp outboard too. I also have a 50lb thrust electric motor i use on it alot to and it moves the boat really good.

Hope this info helps. [Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
I've had 12' and 14' in bare bone alum. boats and both did the job well. I also put in a couple of swivel seats and added trolling moter with the outboard. If you go out by yourself, put the batterys or anything with weight in the bow to make up the difference. Thats a real good buy on any boat. If your on a river, you really need to watch the wave height on these boats.
[signature]
I think you should consider a jet pump on the bottom of the outboard. Ideal for river fishing. These are common in Idaho as well as the big jet boats. i fish with a friend that has an open aluminum boat with a jet pump outboard and it works great. Get enough power to get up on plane so you can skim over those shallow spots.
[signature]
I'm sure you could fit 3 comfortably from what I have experienced.
[signature]