Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's better, bear spray or high caliber
If you are in bear country (grizzly or black) what method of defense would be your first choice? Bear spray or a high caliber handgun? I have often had this debate with various friends and acquaintances, usually with the idea of "higher the caliber, bigger the hole, then it's over". What I am posting this for is to encourage a thoughtful debate from all sides on this issue. Included in any views I would like to hear which choice you would think is the best option? Why? And if you or someone you personally know has used either method, and if so does it impact your decision?

My personal opinion is bear spray would be my first choice. The main reason is that grizzly's are protected (around here) and I don't want the issue of being accused of poaching. Bear spray has been shown to be effective (when used properly) at stopping or minimizing an attack from grizzly's. I don't personally know anyone that has had to use either method so I'll leave that out.

I look forward to some thoughtful discussion on this topic and hope that everyone will be respectful of other opinions. I say this knowing this could debate has the potential for some strong feelings.
[signature]
Be quick on your feet, keep a close eye on the bear, keep something between you.
This guys method works for polar bears, at least I hope it did.

[Image: att00010.jpg]

[Image: att00011.jpg]

[Image: att00012.jpg]

[Image: att00013.jpg]

[Image: att00014.jpg]
[signature]
Not what I was thinking, but what the heck, the pics were definitely cool! I guess if a method works, keep with it. Now how do I pack my rig up the mountain while hunting?[crazy]
[signature]
Do you know what happened in the end with the guy and the polar bear?
[signature]
I carry bear spray but wish I could carry a gun in Yellowstone. I hike there often and my wife would just feel more at ease with a gun even if it didn't make a difference.

Windriver
[signature]
My wife has just the opposite feeling. She doesn't like guns and so she gets nervous when I have mine. Not to mention, my 9mm wouldn't do anything except tick off a bear even worse[frown]
[signature]
You think a 9mm would tick one off what kind of faith do you have in that bear spray. I would defenetly pack a gun you can't take chances w/ the wild.
[signature]
i was camping around stanley a couple years back and there was a black bear getting into ppls coolers and a guy let some lead fly from his 9mm and it seemed to work just fine but i dont know how much it would work on a grizz, but i know it would make me feel alot safer than a can of pepper spray.
[signature]
i bet that guy neede a fresh pair of underwear after that. it looks like a young bear but still dangerous. it would have still torn him apart
[signature]
my first thought would be this. no matter which you carry, put in the situation, would you remeber to act and use either the spray or the pistol? comming back from the butt h*le of hell, im going to say hand gun, 45acp, 357 at the very least. i was thrown into a lot of wierd situations and reacting at first was something i wasent used to doing. after a few close calls it became normal. so yea, i would go large caliber hand gun. but before that route, if it was available, i would run down hill. bears have shorter front paws then back and cant run down hill (a semi steep hill) very well at all, least thats what i have been told. please correct m,e if im wrong
[signature]
I've also heard the idea that bears can't run down hills very well. However I've seen video clips of them chasing calf elk down hills and yes, if the calf turns suddenly the bear has trouble matching it. However I have yet to see a single time where it did more than buy the calf a few more seconds of time. That bear will still run you down irregardless. Running is a BAD idea. I have yet to hear a "bear expert" say otherwise to that.
[signature]
Actualy as of this year concealed wep permit holders can carry guns into national parks including yellowstone. This is what I was told by the guy who taught or permit class.
[signature]
Yes, that is true.
As for the spray VS SPRAY, i would feel more comfortable drawing a pistol than a can of bear spray. I have read and watched all the articles and shows on it and i still think a couple well placed shots will make the threat STOP! I know a .40 S&W has plenty of power to penetrate a bears forehead. If you let them get close enough, you don't even need to aim. Just squeeze the trigger.[sly]
[signature]
I can honestly say I had one and only one experience with the choice of shooting an onward comming bear and her cub or using yet another option not mentioned.

I was deer hunting up near gaylord michigan many moons ago, packing a 22 side arm and a 30/06 rifle.

I had sat down on a stump to watch over a freshly cut servaors line though the woods. and about half hour in to my watch I got the munchies... I reached in to my pocket and grabbed me a snikers, opened it and took a bite when I look up down the trail and there are these two bear comming right twards me down this 5 food wide trail not more than a hundred feet away.

ya, I did have a big gun, and no I did not want to shoot it and have to deal with the concervation officers... the optioin I used was to break the candy bar in half, drop one peice on the ground the other peice on the stump and the rapper on the trail, I got up and turned around keeping an eye over my sholder and walked the other way down the trail and stepped in to the woods at my first oppertunity.

Looking back I could see the bear messing around the stump pawing at the rapper.....

who'd a thunk it, that a candy bar rapper was all that stood between an unwanted killing of a bear or human...[Wink]
[signature]
Who am I to argue a method that works that well! Doesn't make nearly as exciting a story but at least you get to tell it [Wink]
[signature]
I would stick with a .44 Mag.......I've shot the ultralites and they kick well enough, but not unmanageable.
[signature]
I would definitely go with the sidearm. One of my college roommates father had an incident in alaska with a grizzly. While cleaning a bull moose a huge grizz came in on him and his buddy. He took his pistol off while gutting it and sure enough thats when the bear came in. The bear went after his buddy first, right as he got to him he fell over a log and the bear lost interest, and decided to go after my friends dad. Luckily that gave him enough time to get to his pistol. He shot the bear just before it got to him. Bear spray may have worked in that situation but I wouldn't have wanted to find out. I have a picture somewhere, if i can find it i'll post it on here.
[signature]
[url "http://www.tbotech.com/bearspray.htm"]Bear pepper spray[/url] has been proven to be effective, and is unlikely to cause residual injury to healthy bears when used properly. When activated, it fires a highly concentrated fog barrier of pepper ingredients. It is designed for one-handed operation, and is proven to work on wild animals. [Wink]
[signature]
ive run into a few black bear but they were always running away from me..a flesh eating bear like a grizzly ..the only thing i would feel safe carrying is a gun..sorry i dont take chances on death..
[signature]
Ive spent 11 years fishing the Russian River up here in Alaska where human/bear encounters are a daily occurence. We usually have an attack or mauling at least once a year, and actually had two here in Anchorage just off the running trails. In my experience the best thing you can do is give the bear a HEALTHY dose of respect and be ever aware of your situation and where you are. They rarely go from zero to full on charge, there are plenty of warning signs. Pawing at the dirt, huffing at you, false charging are all USUALLY precursors to them coming after you for real.

There are exceptions to the rule of course, If you are between Momma and her cub all bets are off, if she deems you a threat get ready for a tangle. If the bear is hungry again its a different dynamic, you either have something it wants as food or sees you as food. Grizzly bears/Browns usually attack because they deem you a threat and will only beat you up until they no longer see you as such, which is why they tell you to go into the feetle position with your hands locked over the back of your neck to protect yourself and be able to weather the beating till the bear loses interest. Black bears on the other hand I have had numerous wildlife biologist tell me if a Black attacks you they mean to end you and eat you.

I have had countless bears come within 10 feet of me, grab a salmon carcass and head back into the woods. I carry a Ruger Redhawk 44 Mag and have never once in 11 years here in Alaska had to pull it. When hiking back to camp with a backpack of fish making noise with bear bells or just a couple rocks in an empty can works great. I dont advocate the use of pepper spray as it never gave me the feeling of security that 4 pounds of steel on my hip did.

The joke up here is you carry a .22 and a can of pepper spray. The .22 to shoot your buddy in the leg so your faster and the pepper spray to season him for the bear.
[signature]