Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Im new 2 this!
Hello,
I'v been lookin at BFT for about a month and find it full of usefull information. I love it. Now, its been awhile since i've flyfished as i am from SE utah 4 corners where the nearest place to fly fish was WAY upper San Juan just below Navajo Dam. So the majority was on still water. Now when i say its been awhile im talking like over 10 yrs. I was only 10 to 14 yrs old when i was flyfishing and now im 27 yrs old. My wife, for my birthday, had purchased me a SAGE rod and Lamson reel, a pretty decent setup for me beginning again. She said that I wouldnt stop talkin about wanting to fly fish again and how much i had missed it. Well, when i went out to get back into it the first thing i noticed was that it just didnt come back to me the way i thought it would. I had no idea what to use as i was trying various nymph patterns and losing about 4 of 'em in the learning process again. I did manage to catch one, a brown about 14" long on a #18 tan scud, on the lower provo.
I need advise on what works about now thru Feb, or any suggestions. I did however really enjoy fishing and i cant wait to go back out. I havent been for a month and a half as my wife just gave birth to our beautiful daughter. But i am currently looking to going out again, i just wanna have a little bit of an idea of what may work. Also, I live in the Utah valley so what are some good places to fish around here?
So i would appreciate ANY advise ie. hotspots, rigs, good quality leader/tippet materials, etc.
Thanks guys,
Kyle,
[signature]
Enjoy your daughter. There will be plenty of time for fishing. Just ask someone who has been there and done........
[signature]
Scuds are a year round diet and it sounds like you have had luck with them.
There will be MIDGES on occasion so small BWO should work for dries.
Zebra's, Pheasant Tails, Prince Nymphs, Copper Johns, and Haresears for nymphs, but think small like #18.
Also, practice roll casting as appose to false casting. You will loose less flies and it will cast better if using an indicator.
If a storm is on it's way in, try woollies or muddlers. Storms push fish down.

Congrats on the new addition! And welcome to the board.
[signature]
Quote:If a storm is on it's way in, try woollies or muddlers. Storms push fish down.

Until March and April when the BWO's get rolling. Then, the nastier the weather, the better the dry fly fishing.
[signature]
I have noticed that also, but the streamers really work then...seems like bigger fish also.
[signature]
Awesome, thanks so much for the info. fixin on doin some fishin this weekend will definently work on the roll casting. have a good weekend and happy casting.
[signature]
I lived in Utah Valley for a while and know a lot of smaller streams that are really productive. I'll PM you with my favorites.
[signature]