Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon Flies hatching in February!
Ok, before anybody calls me an idiot or a liar because of the title of my post hear me out. I have a 30 gal fish tank, and I've developed a new hobby. When I'm out fly fishing, I take an empty water bottle with me, and as I go, I flip over rocks and logs and bring any cool critters home that I find. So far I've managed to keep alive salmon flies, golden stones, various caddis flies, and snails. The caddises are easy to hatch out, because they just swim to the top after they pupate (the wife doesn't like it too much when they start buzzing arround the house), but salmonflies have to crawl out. I built them a little ladder out of chopsticks so they could get out. Last night I had my first completely successfull hatching of a salmon fly (I've had about half a dozen try and fail). It's pretty amazing to watch.
I'm waiting to find some dragonflies, I've heard they're fun to watch. Anybody have any ideas on other things I could try?
[signature]
Sounds like an interesting hobby. Perfect for somebody going into fisheries biology. I have always wanted to raise perch in my aquarium but I heard the F&G frowns on that because of the threat of buget biologists.

Windriver
[signature]
That reminds me of a story. I was working at a place in texas and they had a 50 gallon tank will gold fish. This this was so dirty had green stuff on the side, well i was there late one night and decided i would be nice and clean if for her. Well little did i know it would put all the fish into shock, So it killed like 95 percent of them which is what probly needed to happen, It was so over crowded. Well the next day she ripped me a new one, well it got me mad. Here i was trying to do this lady a favor, cause it was obvious she wasnt going to do it. So i stewed and stewed over it and thought well i will fill her tank back up. So i went out to a local lake and caught 8 or 9 bluegill and sunfish and loaded that tank up. She came in asking me if i did it i just said did what and she stormed off i am sure she knew it was me that did it.
[signature]
lol htat is great.
[signature]