Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Fishing
Well its here! The ice is slowly starting to melt off the lakes and its gonna be pike time in less than a month! Im already getting all my stuff ready and went out and got a few of my favorite pike lures. I have also been making up some of my favorite inline spinners for pike. I love tying those big bushy bucktail treble hooks. i heard my favorite local lake "Glendale Lake" has about 6 foot of ice melted the whole way around the lake. There is only time between me and pikein now.

Anyone else like to fish for pike in the spring here? Where at and what are some of your favorite lures? Till next time tight lines [Smile]
[signature]
Back when there was still an opening day.(Same day as Walleye), I would take my family up to highpoint and fish from the bank using creek chubs. They love them even more than shiners! We would catch somewhere around a dozen or so during the day. Some using just a bobber and some I would rig using a slip sinker on bottom which sometimes produced a few bullheads. They would always hit right after dawn and right before dusk the best but a few hungry ones would give us a run during the day. I always tried and set up on the downwind side of the lake and have either the wind blowing at us or towards a nearby cove. They are also well known for scavenging any fish that may not make the winter.
[signature]
Ya know i really need to take a run up there to high point some day this spring. I love pike and from what i hear that place is pike heaven.

You say that you seem to have your best luck at dawn and dusk? Well at mid-day when the warmest part of the day hits try using some topwater for those guys. For some reason there is like a 2 hour window where they will smash top water lures during the warmest part of the day. Its really awesome to see a pike hit like a bass to.

If you plan on going up there this spring again let me know how you do, i will be curious to see what size of pike you get out of there.
[signature]
I haven't done it in a year or so, but will have to give a try as soon as the ice comes off. They will be heading for the shallows then. Most of the fish we would catch were close to the legal size but most fall into the 20" to 22" bracket and we would just return them. The largest I have caught out of there was 32". I have landed a few legal ones but most were in the lower bracket. Good healthy fish though.
[signature]