Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW CCA ACTION ALERT SSB5127 PROHIBITES CITIZENS FROM COLLECTING SIGNATURES FOR PUBLIC VOTE
Dear Doug,
Early in February, we warned you about Senate Bill 5127, an attempt to silence your voice in Washington's fisheries management by gutting the Fish and Wildlife Commission's authority to manage our fisheries. Despite your overwhelming opposition as shown by your 4,600 e-mails and letters, this dangerous bill has passed out of the Natural Resources Committee and was actually made worse.
Attached is a comprehensive summary of the specific changes Substitute Senate Bill (SSB) 5127 would enact. The goal of SSB 5127 is to take power from the people of the state and the Commission and centralize it in one committee of the Senate in order to better serve influential commercial fishing interests. These same interests are pushing this bill through so they can reverse the science and conservation-based approach of your current Fish and Wildlife Commissioners.

The vote of the people formed the Fish and Wildlife Commission. Not only would SSB 5127 end the Fish & Wildlife Commission as you know it, but the bill contains an emergency clause that prohibits citizens from gathering signatures to put it on the ballot for a vote of the people. Does this sound like they respect democracy? Are they looking out for you or the needs of the resource?
Do not allow this power grab by a select few succeed in undoing the Commission or your ability to have a say in the management of our fish and wildlife resources. You can sit by and watch, or you can make your voice be heard. Click on the link below to take action now!
Click the link below to log in and send your message:

Giving your name and address will automatically send your letter to the correct representatives and governor. You will also be included in the next CCA Action Alert
For more information on cca click on the above link to visit the site. The national cca site is on the lower left.
Go to "what is cca" and click on Accomplishments for their state wins over the last 30 years.

You have received this message because you have subscribed to a mailing list of CCA Pacific Northwest. If you do not wish to receive periodic emails from this source, please click below to unsubscribe.
[signature]
What was the link? Could you please PM it to me and I will repost it? (new members aren't allowed to post links until you've made 15 posts).

I think it's important we get the word out there on this one.

EDIT: Found the link:

[url "http://www.votervoice.net/link/target/ccapnw29500596.aspx"]http://www.votervoice.net/link/target/ccapnw29500596.aspx[/url]
[signature]
I got a response from one of my representatives in the state legislature:

"Thank you for the e-mail Kevin.

Al O'Brien"

No clue what his actual position is. That's very encouraging....[crazy]
[signature]
I got this response from Tom Rodney, state senator:

"Kevin,

I want to thank you for writing in regarding Senate Bill 5127, dealing with the state Fish and Wildlife Commission. I don't know the full history behind this legislation but what I've been led to believe is that it is more in line with our focus on cutting out boards and commissions rather than a direct change in policy direction.

The governor took the first steps to eliminate several hundred boards and commissions and the Legislature is trying to follow her lead in creating a leaner government. This is very emblematic of the times we are facing where every single dollar spent is being looked at for elimination. We are facing an extremely tough budget environment this biennium that is brought on by the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.

There are a lot of viable programs that have made a significant difference in the lives of the citizens here in Washington that simply must be cut in order to meet our budgetary requirements for a balanced budget. As the vice chairman of the Senate Ways and Means Committee, I have an integral role in writing this budget and have the dubious duty of cutting programs created by legislation I sponsored.

I know that on the surface sometimes these cuts look minor and the dollar savings insignificant, but in a lot of these savings the costs are far beyond travel reimbursement for a voluntary board. In many instances the staff time required to make these meetings serve a functional purpose is an unseen cost that often does not get recognized.

I want to thank you again for writing in and expressing your concerns. As always I appreciate your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions and look forward to our continued dialogue.

think Peace!
Rodney Tom
State Senator
p 360.786.7694
o 800.562.6000 hotline
e [url "mailto:tom.rodney@leg.wa.gov"]tom.rodney@leg.wa.gov[/url]
w [url "http://www.sdc.wa.gov/tom.htm"]http://www.sdc.wa.gov/tom.htm[/url]"
[signature]