Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Derby In Las Vegas, Nevada
[Image: KidsFishingLogo.gif][center][size 4]Don't forget this Saturday there is a Fishing Derby scheduled.[/size][/center] [center][size 4]Take your kids. There will be prizes given out. [/size][/center]

Date: 06/07/2003 from 8:00 am-1:00 pm Distance: Approx. 8 miles from 89145 Place: Lorenzi Park
Las Vegas, NV Directions: Corner of Washington and Rancho, take 95 to the Rancho exit, go north to Washington then turn right, enter the park at the west entrance just past the park. Contact: Jamie Flanagan Organization: Angler 1 Sportfishing Adventures Phone: (702) 368-6320
[signature]
[center][Image: MESS6438CustomImage1373141.jpg][/center][center]well I showed up but I did not reconize any body,[/center] [center]oops, rong state... lol[/center] [center][cool] if you did not make it out you missed a great time [cool][/center]
[signature]
michigan, ohhh i thought ya said michigan ave!

haha

sm
[signature]
[size 2][center][Image: lp002.jpg][/center][left][/size][size 3]It was a beautiful day as I left my house and headed over to Lorenzi Park to watch the [#ff0000]Kids All American Fishing Derby[/#ff0000] that was scheduled today.[/size][/left] [left][size 3][Image: lp003.jpg] I Idecided it might be great to see if the sponsor might need some help with the kids or at least take some pictures of the kids catching fish and having fun. When I got to the park I was disappointed to find out that it must have been called off. It still was a great day to get out and see if anyone was fishing. The birds were swooping and diving for insects and leftover food that picnickers left yesterday. The ducks on the island were just moving around and finding food for their morning feeding. The lake was beautiful and calm with a light breeze. The temperature outside was 87 Degrees and the sky was blue with no clouds to be seen. I watched a humming bird as it was hovering along the branches of a near by tree. [/size][/left][size 3] [left][Image: lp007.jpg][/left][/size] [left][size 3]I watch several fathers teaching their son’s how to fish. [/left] [center][Image: lp005.jpg][/size][/center] [left][size 3]Even grandma was there, showing her grandson the art of fishing a relaxation. There wasn’t many out today but the ones that came were enjoying themselves. I watched a young boy catch a can from the bottom of the lake. As he brought it in he unhooked it took it to a nearby trashcan. I continued to walk around the lake when 2 young Hispanic boys were casting their lures in the water. I stopped and took several pictures of the boys and watch as both were casting just like a [/size][size 3]pro. [/size][/left] [left][Image: lp006.jpg][/left] [left][size 3][Image: lp004.jpg][/size][/left] [left][size 3]Their grandfather had taught them well. I stopped and talked with their grandfather for a while, a real nice retired 65-year-old Hispanic man. We talked about when he took his grandson’s out on Lake Mead to catch black bass and catfish. He said after September 11th "911" he lost his job and was forced to retire. He said no one wants to hire a 65-year-old man that has 52 years experience in bodywork. He lost his boat and car because he couldn’t afford to keep them so he sold them. You could see it in his face that it must have been extremely painful to do that. He told me that he now rides the CAT bus to the park and fishes when he can. I handed the Grandfather a couple of my Big Fish Tackle Stickers to give to the boys. I continued around the lake and saw the Black lady fishing all along. Her grandson must have gone to play in the playground. I finally called it a day because it was getting hot around 99 degrees at noon. I called the organizer when I got home but I couldn’t get a hold of the person that set this up. I did find out that it was cancelled. They couldn’t have had a better day for fishing. What a great day![cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][/size][/left] [center][Image: bftn001.jpg][/center]
[signature]
we had it the other way, it was a beutifull day like yours. we were there, the kids were nowhere to be found.

impending thunderstorms were constantly being threttened over the radio, we never saw a drop the whole day on saturday.

we did manage to get up about 20 kids to partisapate from families who had not been listening to the radios and had came out to the park for fun and recreation.

now the derby we had today on sunday, that was another story, when I got there, the sky was gray and fully overcast. I arived a couple hours early to cast a line in the water a couple times. then the rain set in about 11 am and came down steady for the next 2 hours. as we sat there and comtemplated calling it a rain out, kids started ariving in the rain with rain coats, umbrellas and a lets go fishing attitude.

to see the full report check out the michigan board, I will post my pics there.
[signature]