Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port Isabel Ship Channel 6/4
Well I had a few hours to fish this morning.So I done a little wade fishing along the edge of the ship channel.After finaly netting a few mullet I started fishing the edge of the channel drop off with my flounder rig.
First cast, boom 14 1/4 inch flounder.I was thinking the flounder have finaly move in.I fished another 100 yards are so with out a bump then tap tap, let him swallow it, set the hook, fish on.I got about two cranks on him and he came off.Shoot! You could see where he bit down and peeled the mullet about in the middle of the bait.You have to give these flounder time to get it all in there mouth.I fished another 50 yards without a bite then tap, run, 16 inch red.I waded a few more yards and came up on 3 PVC rod holder sticking out of the water.So I just cast the flounder rig out and droped the rod in one of the holders.I started casting my other rod with a gold spoon and had a nice red fallow it up within about 15 feet of me then he saw me and, with a swirl like a clothes washer,he turned and ran.I made a few more casts and was in the middle of a day dream about the new fly rod I bought.I was snapped out of the dream by a sound like a rain coat zipper running up and down.I turned to see my poor little flounder rod bowed over like a young monkey on a grape vine.LOL I grabbed the rod with one hand,loosened the drag a little, and held it high while I put my other rod between my knees and finnished reeling it in with my left hand.Wheew that was tricky.I finaly got the fish wrestled in. It was a 22 1/2 inch red.
I got one more hit on the live bait rig that bit the mullet into but missed the hook.I got about three more bone jaring hits on the gold spoon without a hookup.I don't know what they were but they realy hit it .
About that time the dolphins came by and the bites stopped completly.That happens every time.The dolphins will swim by and the catching stops.I fished another hour without even a nudge.So I loaded up and went home to do some honey do jobs.
Not a real productive day but at least I didn't get skunked.

[Image: MESS3307CustomImage3149837.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the report with details on the bite for the flounder. Also I want to thank you for posting your pictuer. It is nice to see your daughter again. It was a great pleasure to watch her at the Turnament up in Port A this year. I hope she will be able to attend again next year.
I might be comming down to Port A in July or August. If I do I will let you know and try to come down for a day on the water down your way.
[signature]