Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm sick!!
Cleaning out the boat and have a Plano box With about 50 count down and jointed Rapala's in it. Some how it was the only box out of 12 that got water in it and I have a serious rust issue.
I've cut off all the hooks and snap rings and can replace them. Question is does anyone have an idea how to get the rust off the plug bodies with out messing up the original finish?
Any help would be appreciated.
Sure as heck I don't want to replace them at todays prices [frown]
[signature]
Try WD 40 and let me know if it works . Curt G.
[signature]
Rub them with a paper towel and some WD-40. The WD will loosen the rust and the paper towel won't dull the finnish but a tiny bit.

Test on one, I've never had WD hurt the plastic on any lure, but test it on one to make sure.

If that won't work, E-mail me your address and I'll throw them out for you. [fishin] What did you think I ment by "throw them out"
[signature]
I'll try the WD.THANKS. I'll be sure to let you know the results.
[signature]
If that doenst work, maybe try some hot water and dish soap. I cant imagine the rust is stuck on there too good since the raps have a coat of lacquer on them.
[signature]
[#500000]Put a couple of drops of dish soap on some "00" size steel wool. Rub off the rust, then rinse off and dry...........You might want to refinish them with some clear vinyl lure finish or lacquer finish to make them look new again...........Hang them from a string that has been stretched or a small dowel to dry..........WW.[/#500000]
[signature]
[#500000]PS......If it is really bad try GoJo hand cleaner with the steel wool........Get the orange pumice kind; fish love it...................WW.[/#500000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Use some tub and tile cleaner with a mild solution of phosphoric acid. That will dissolve the water deposits and the rust without harming the finish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is possible that the rust stains have gone deeply into the lures and may not be removeable with anything. If that is the case you can add some new paint , glitter or prism tape to create new finishes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I used to salvage a lot of "waterlogged" lures when I lived in California and did some freshwater diving in the rivers and lakes there. Some come out better than others, but I used the worst cases to try out new experimental colors and patterns without having to spend a lot of money on them. The big thing, as you know, is to replace the hardware. Good hooks and split rings are vital.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Another thing to try would be to soak them in some Coca Cola. That stuff cleans up alot of stuff. Alot cheaper than the WD-40 and easier.

A liter bottle is about a buck is all.
[signature]
All good tips and worth a try. I'm going to get started on them today seeing as I have lots of time (danged snow).

Thanks again.
[signature]
Vinegar also takes rust off. Although not too sure if the smell would stay stuck to the lure. Also Mollasses suprisingly enough takes it off too.
[signature]
Wow look at all these ideas. Here is mine. I have used tooth past to get the tarnish/rust off of spinners before it cleans them up great I am not sure what would happen on a crank or plug but it sounds like you might have a few that need TLC the only thing that I think would be bad is it might dull the finish because of the gritty pumice. I would try it out
[signature]
In response to Tube Dude's comments, I own a janitorial supply store call "Cleaning Supplier" in West Jordan. We carry a product called "Power" it is 38% phosphoric acid out of the bottle. Normally you dilute at a 5-1 ration with water. That brings the acid contect down to about 9%. We have not had any problems except on marble, granite or other natural stone. Just make sure, if you use it, to let it do the work. Let it sit 15-20 min. and RINSE thoroughly! Also works well on boat hulls[Wink]. We also have a product called "Rust Buster". It is designed to remove rust from carpet and hard surfaces like tile and concrete. Not sure what it will do, if anything to your lures[crazy]. If you want to try it first, bring in a lure or two, and we can see what it will do.
[signature]
Try some Coca Cola. I bet it takes the rust off. Don't know about what it will do to the finish but should definitely take the rust off.
[signature]
Hey Bud I know some people out here in Bead Blast maybe that would take it off.[:p] Then we could run them thru bldg. 220 to make them nice and shiney.[cool]
[signature]
Coke shouldnt do anything to the finish. Doesnt do anyything to clear coat paint, so I cant imagine it would touch a lures finish.
[signature]
Geez Pete:
Could you run them over to the paint booth and have some custome fish catching colors added too [Wink]
I don't know. Maybe some Air Force grey and Thunder bird white would do the trick.
Your a swell guy [Smile]
[signature]
Man o Man, I love seeing my tax dollars at Work. When Can I bring mine up to get done?[Wink] LMAO
[signature]
In response to Strikes R Us...My new boat is made of Roplene. Unbreakable, but pourous so it gets dirt, etc embedded in it. It only comes clean with pressure washing. Do you have a product that may clean it up easier?
[signature]
I have contacts in F-22 land but if we coated them with that the fish wouldn't be able to see them LOL.[Wink]
[signature]