Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lures I Bought This Winter
I decided to put together some of the lures i bought over the winter to share with you guys. On the right are all rapalas Which include the X-Rap walk 13, an X-Rap Subwalk, and 2 floaters in pike color. In the center, they are all River2Sea. The top 3 are V-joint minnows with the smallest one being a wake bait. The next River2sea bait is a V-crank Wake then a Crawler crank and finally a S-waver. On the left they are all different manufactures. from top to bottom they are MattLures ultamite bluegill, Sebile Magic Minnow, Tru-Tungsten True life 4" minnow, Jackall Girion, Cant remember the next one, and the Deps Basirisky.

I got alot of lures to try out this year and i will have a really hard time trying to figure out what one to tie on first lol. I will be posting reports how each lure works out on the water. If you have any questions on these lures feel free to ask me and i will answer them to the best of my knowlage.
[signature]
I'm actually a West Virginia University student, so I typically only put my boat out on Cheat Lake to fish, but would love to learn of some new places, especially if they are close to WV.

The West Virginia forum on BFT is rather slow so I usually just read your posts instead since you are close by... With that being said, I like your new lures, we seem to have picked up some of the same over winter, check out mine...

Maybe we can compare notes, and come up with some good results.

Let me know how you are using your True Life, as I am anxious to toss my baby bass in the moment I get my boat in the water in a few weeks. ( I'm in the middle of replacing all the carpet and seats myself. )

BTW, I have a lot of questions for you, but I'll save them for the next post. Smile
[signature]
We don't mind you stopping in here and dropping a line one bit! [Wink] There are alot of good places to fish here in PA depending on how far you want to drive. Im lucky to live in an area where i have about a dozen lakes to fish all within an hour of me if not more.

I see that you got a true tungston baby bass lure. Mine is perch in color and boy does it look nice in the water. I have been using it for pike the past 3 weeks and have yet to get a bite on it. However this bait produces a ton of following fish. And they are BIG GUYS. i know the one was pushing 40" or bigger. they are right behind it and come right up to the boat. i do a figure 8 at the boat and they still wont take it. I have tried pausing, speeding up, and slowing down my retrieve with no success. O well at least my River2Sea S-Waver seems to get the job done. I got alot of pike on it so far, all in the 20 to 25 inch range. If i could only hook up with one of the big boys with the S-Waver that follow the Tru-Life id be a happy camper!!![frown]

If you haven't tried River2Sea lures yet you should they seem to work well for me so far (especially the S-Waver) and look great in the water. The price aint that bad either. There is a shop in lancaster that sells some of there stuff, don't know how far of a drive that is for you. Its about 3 hours for me but worth the trip.

I'm open for all your questions so fire away and i will try to answer them to the best of my ability![sly]
[signature]
If you don't mind, check out the freshwater general forum, I've got a "How important are fish finders?" thread that could I could use some help with...

Besides that, I've only fished for bass, but a guy I talked to told me where some nice pike are located on the lake I typically fish... do you have any suggestions for catching pike? Or should I just pretend I'm bass fishing in that spot and hope they hit?
[signature]
Well i know alot of bass fishermen that catch alot of pike when they are fishing for bass this time of year. So yeah you could fish with your bass gear and catch some pike if you wanted to. However if you wanted to effectively get some nice pike you will need to try something different. What i have the most luck with are spoons. I really like these spoons that a guy makes locally here by me. They are called the Niti-1. they work awesome for pike. Another good one for pike is the Devil Horse spoon. I really like silver. I seem to have the best luck with silver no matter what kind of spoon it is. Now right next to spoons i will throw Rapala X-Raps alot too. The pike seem to love them. They got loud rattles and a flashy finish.

The key with pike in my opinion is to be bright and flashy. They seem to like things that shine in the water. I have got pike on just about everything in my tackle box but the 2 lures listed above have been my most productive by far. And one other thing. Don't be fooled, just because you are going for big fish don't mean you need to throw lures the size of the bass you catch lol. I use lures in the 4 to 5 inch range and do really well. I hope this helps ya out a little. Let me know how you do if you decide to try this out.
[signature]