Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first ever fish on the fly! "pics"
To say im new to fly fishing is an understatement. But yesterday I decided to go brave the elements and try again. And luckily I was able to catch my first fish fly fishing. I think I just might be hooked now. It was just a whitefish and it taped 17 5/8". Might go back out again today.
[signature]
way to go! A whitefish that big can put up quite a fight - and they usually bite very lightly, so hooking them can take some good reflexes. Looks like you're on the right track.

What fly did you use and where were you fishing?
[signature]
Thanks, I was fishing above rockport and using a #16 copper john trailed by a #18 pink scud.

It really did fight hard I had to follow it a little ways down stream before I could land it.
[signature]
Good to hear another another fly rod hooked an angler. It is a special feeling, just wait till you hook into a trout. Not that whitefish are no fun but when you feel what a big rainbow/brown feels like at the end of your line it will boil your blood. You have a good chance to hook into some nice fish right now in the early season. The weber is full of white fish and so I am sure you will get some more. I hope to get out there soon for some spring action.

Thanks for the report.[fishon]
[Smile]
[signature]
Good on ya! I can still remember my first hook up on a fly some 30 years ago.....but i can't remember my name these days.

Now that you have the feeling stick with it, it only gets better.

LT
[signature]
Congrats!!!

But I must warn you, do not begin to tie your own flies. I repeat do not begin to tie your own flies. Once, that happens your life will never be the same as flyfishing will become an obsession.[Smile]
[signature]
[quote SBW]Congrats!!!

But I must warn you, do not begin to tie your own flies. I repeat do not begin to tie your own flies. Once, that happens your life will never be the same as flyfishing will become an obsession.[Smile][/quote]

...but if you do, attending the Wasatch Fly Tying Expo next year will add extraordinary skills to your repertoire. What a great event.
[signature]
It isn't really flyfishing unless it is your own fly though right.lol I know I am relegated to fishing with flies no smaller than #12 because I don't have the skills to tie anything smaller. lol Seriously though there is nothing like that first fish. Congradulations!
Fishjon
[signature]
[#0000bf]two major events for a fly fisher.. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]that first fish on a fly.. and[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]that first fish on a fly you tied.. [/#0000bf]
[#0000bf][/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]MacFly [cool][/#0000bf]
[signature]
Thanks for all the kind words. Im not sure that im ready to start tying flies just yet, but im sure it's not to far off.
[signature]
take your time.. it will come when you are ready.. to me it is all part of the sport..

MacFly
[signature]
I remember my first fish on a fly rod, 20" bow from Minersville reservoir woo what a fish Good on ya for getting something on the lint flingin rod.
[signature]