Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing small streams..
most of my summer trout fishing is done on small streams most of the time they run through the middle of swamps vegitation is thick..a flyfishing nitemare ..the streams are on average 10 to 15 foot wide with lots of log jams and undercut banks were the fish hide...lots of scetters to..i usualy use live bait ultra lite rod and just hook no weight.on 2 to4 pound test line...how many people out their do this ..were.and succes rate..your expiriences..
[signature]
I'll do similar but prefer to use small inline spinners. I'll often cast them downstream next to the bank or other cover and slowly reel them back to me letting the current provide the action, even stopping and just letting it sit and spin in place. I often find doing that for a couple seconds then just barely twitching it or half a crank on the reel will get it hit. The places that I fish though fit more the scenic mountain stream ideal that people think of when they consider areas like the tetons and yellowstone area.
[signature]
most of the good trout stream we have here in michigan have so much brush and tag alders around them getting to them is a struggle most of the land around them is low and swampy ..i use a short pole to get through it without tangling in the brush the bait consists of a size 8 aberdeen hook and a night crawler..no weight..i just run it under anything that looks like it may hold a fish..the aberdeen hooks are nice becouse they will straiten before the line breaks..i get snaged alot so this helps...i often run wax worms on a size ten hook when the fish are finiky this seems to help..i love to brooktrout fish..
[signature]
I do something some might call crazy but i swear it works when you are fishing areas with alot of brush and tuff access. I take my ice rod. Most the small streams that i fish are only 6 ft across tops many only a couple ft. So there is no need for long casting just a short flip. and when i need to crawl under a bush i can hide the not only the tip but the whole pole under me while i hunch over. The only time i feel foolish is when ppl notice what i am using. But i dont have problems getting tangled on those willows.
[signature]
lol i almost forgot. If you think bringing in a brookie is fun on an ultralight try bringing one in on a ultra light 24 incher. They all feel like monsters. 3 inch brookies or 12 inchers.
[signature]
i guess im just as crazy as you i used my longer ice rod all last summer i even left the 2 pound test on it alot of fun fighting a brookie on 2 pound test and an ice rod..
[signature]
thats what im talking about...people just dont know what there missing..
[signature]
i am glad i am not the only one that has tried it.
[signature]
I like to use my little 6' 2 wt fly rod. It makes any fish feel huge. You can throw out a little stimulator all day long in pocket water and pull them up. Tons of fun. Its a little tougher with a 9' rod though. makes it a little tough to set the hook. Small stream fishing is one of my favorite things to do.
[signature]
i wish i could find a small steam in this state that was open enough to use a flyrod usualy just to much brush...some of the road colverts might work...
[signature]