Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willow Pond 4-15
Went to Willow Pond for the first time last night. Missed a few on midge dries and pupae patterns. There was one gentleman fly casting and killing it. I know some of you fish the pond a lot, do you do better sub surface or on top? When fishing a sub surface chroni do you do a slow retrieve or just let it sit? Now that i have discovered the pond i will be there a lot. Thanks for any advice.
[signature]
As far as sub surface, if I seen them rising, sure I am going to try a dry and definitely a dry dropper.
Right now I do best with a 9' to 4' leader and Chroni's under an indicator. Nymphs work well like this also like Haresear and Pheasant tails.
I general don't strip...let it sit but there are times you give a slow strip to give it movement or right after a hit.
As it warms up, try a sinking line with a nymph or small bugger....that is fun stuff right there, and that is cast and strip action.
I think PA is hitting there tomorrow, pm him maybe.
[signature]
Yesterday went a lot better. I was only there for about a half hour. but i caught two rainbows, and had a quick release on an albino.
[signature]
Willow pond is fun to fish. I usually do pretty well with a # 16 flashback phesant tail, 5-8ft under a strike indicator with a very slow retrieve. Any nymph in the darker colors generally works pretty well. The FG Pink Floyd kills them.
if you want to meet there sometime, just let me know.[Wink]

pa
[signature]
I was there on the afternoon of the 17th fishing a #14 hares ear, 3 ft under a strike indicator, and caught 15. It was pretty windy and made it a little tough to detect hits, but still had a good time. The fly certainly out fished the bait fishermen. Later in the evening, I removed the sinker from the fly and fished it near the top, and it worked very well.
[signature]
I took my 7' 4wt fiberglass rod and my new Sharkskin 4wt to the pond this afternoon. Fished Chironomids about 4' and 6' under a Thingamabobber. Pretty sweet action. No pictures today though.
[signature]