Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good place to launch a boat and fish on the Columbia river?
A friend of mine has a 30 plus foot boat and is looking for a place to launch it and fish on the Columbia river, anyone have an idea? Thanks for any input. WH2
[signature]
I talked to my friend today and he said his boat is 25 foot and as far as what he wants to catch, he did not seem to care he is just tired of fishing around here and wants to fish some where new. He has a couple of weeks to fish and travel and has decided to fish on the Columbia. Any info would be helpful. WH2
[signature]
There are a lot of choices. First which area is he wanting to fish? I think that the best area to launch a boat of that size is either at Hammond Launch near Astoria Oregon or the Illwaco Washington launch. Both of these choices are near the most Treacherous Bar in the World. Tell your friend to use life jackets as this is the water that the Coast Guard send their top people to for rescue training. I always like to cross the bar at High Slack tide or an Incoming Tide. We have just had the most tragic loss of Life that I can remember at the mouth of Tillimook Bay. If they are careful there is a lot of fishing to be had either upstream or out in the Ocean. The Columbia is a very long and large river so get some charts and get fishing. Also the Summer Salmon season just opened up and thats only the second time in many , many years. This run has been improving and they called them June Hogs in the old days because of the Immense size of a few of the fish headed for Idaho and Beyond. There are many species from 6 inchers to 16 footers to chose from. For a look at a nice size Sturgeon go to my website [url "http://www.konezone.com"]www.konezone.com[/url] and see what you think. Good luck and if you should need specifics reply and I'll see what I can do. Be safe and good luck, Mike
[signature]
Hello WH2 good to be back thanks for the hello last week ..I am loving the fishing here.So i was curious is your friend coming clear over from utah? If so and he has never been he'll love it .The hardest part for me is decideing what to fish for and where. After that yahoo. It looks like the last reply here should give him some great info and i dont think i could top it but i wanted to say hi back to ya and I realy miss the whiper fishing.Ya know i had never caught one befor you emailed me with some nohow and with lots of trial and error i got that whiper wanted to thank you again for that after all ya know you were the lure that hooked me into the groove of this awsome site hehehe. Now if i could only find me some whiper fishing around here i researched where to go but its far and much more of a challange to locate here they are hybred bass and only a limit of 2 per 24 hours and a minimum of 30 inches wow i cant even imagine this one.But anyway just lovin it all around this beautiful state .but miss utah too...Take care talk soon Patti..
[signature]
Thanks to everyone that replied to my post, my friend has got a lot of good info to use in making his decision now. I showed him the site and ask him to respond to a couple of your post but I don't know if he has, I see he has not posted a message here. I'm not sure where he wants to fish but he has plenty of choices now. Thanks again everyone.

Patti, I'm glad I was able to help you and I hope you are able to catch some wipers there in Oregon. A 30in.wiper would be awesome to catch, I can't imagine how one that big would fight. WH2
[signature]