Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard report .... Friday 13th
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Just as I began to write this report, I realized it was "FRIDAY THE 13TH". That explains it all! I lost several lures yesterday and missed TONS of wiper hits.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Went out with a friend from work ... Big John O. Got on the water at about 8:00. Water temps were 69-70. Fished out in the middle N-W of the island for a while and caught a few then went out to the light pole area again today. Once again, the light pole has good marks and plenty of bites. I have never had so many bites that I was missing. If I made sure to keep the speed up to 3.5 + I would loose fewer. We had some damn good sized fish out there that broke leaders and bent open snaps. Once I changed to a larger snap and 12 lb. leader, then I could keep them.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]It actually took me a while to find what they were biting on. My prism shad's modified tail hook arn't large enough and misses were MANY. (Note to myself: Get over to James at Hooked and build new tail hooks that are larger).[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Bottom line ... WHITE ... WHITE ... WHITE is the color of preference right now! Polokid was telling me that he heard that white Jake's spin-a-lures (the trout wallet clip thing) were doing good. So I put one of them on and bam ... three good fish in a row![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]AF Dan, now is the time to try that "Willard Wiper Wacker" lure that we found at Angler's Inn ... I lost mine along with a whole box of wiper spoons![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: NAYL2492CustomImage0448505.jpg][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: NAYL2492CustomImage0422708.jpg][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][Image: NAYL2492CustomImage045856.jpg][/size][/font]

[Image: NAYL2492CustomImage0432388.jpg]
[signature]
CANT SEE THE PICS?
[signature]
Hooked is all but out of Producers for now. I need to replenish my supply also
[signature]
just so you know renegade makes the same style and color identical to the producer. they work just as well and are around 2 bucks. found a stack at walmart.
[signature]
Hey , thats not fair . Seems like you are going everyday . How would that be . I'm pushing my luck to go 1 day a week . LOL Nice report Coot .
[signature]
Supper report O' Coot!! not to mention some super good tips too! I'll have to get with ya and get some of those lures your talking about. By the way I'm jelous of you, geting to fish so much:: I'm asking myself did Coot retire? LOL Hey great posts keep up the good work, Never know, BFT might even make you the next Mod [Smile]. You'd make a good one!!

Hey I'm avabile for fishing on the weekends again, what ya say we hit the Bay again?? Between now & then save some wipers for me.[angelic]
[signature]
Hey Old Coot, are you using a GPS to find your speed? You have been out a lot latey I'm guessing you got your motor fixed or did you get a new motor? WH2
[signature]
I am glad that the white jakes lure worked!!! Looked like you had a good time. When fishing with the jakes lure, were you just casting out, or trolling??? I guess white is the color. Going to have to get out on willard next week!!!! (mental note rob, buy white lures with less black)
[signature]
[#ff0000]We went out Saturday Wipering for the first time and did pretty good I thought for a bunch of greenies. I have two Producers and the hooks got absolutely mangled on. What are you replacing your hooks with? We missed very few hits and lost no lures but maybe that was because I tied them straight onto 36-pound spider wire? The drag on my reels sure took a beating! [/#ff0000]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]WH2 ... Yes I am using GPS for speed. I have found that on most boats that use analog paddle wheels feeding fish finders, they are showing about .5 mph slower than GPS.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Polo Kid ... On those Jakes lures, we were just trolling them.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Neveronsunday ... Yeah, those hooks on the producers could be replaced with wet spaghetti and still be better than what they come with. I replace all of my producer hooks with anything stronger. Oh, and 36 lb spider wire???? That ought to work ... do ya think?[/size][/font]
[signature]
You can go to any tackle shop and get new hooks, you should also replace your split rings, if you get a big one on he will not have a problem ripping those split rings off as well. Wipers are a awesome fighting fish and your tackle and reels will show the wear fast if you don't take care of them. I remember getting a few hard hits (the rod doubled over) and before I could get the rod out of the holder the fish was off. I would reel in and find the rear or front hook gone and if the split ring was there it was stretched apart. Get some good stainless steel hooks and split rings and then you will be set. WH2
[signature]