Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Rod Combo
Howdy
My buddy and I are over here in Afghanistan and he wants to get into fly fishing when he gets home. Since my "expertise" is bass and walleye I find myself at a loss for any type of good info for him, I therefore present his question to more qualified persons, "you"...
Could some of you please give your suggestions on a fly rod and reel set up for under $150.
Also your input on what lenght/weight/line... Fishing mainly for trout on local streams, not sure if he'll want to fish nymphs, dry flys, streamers... so an all around rod until he figures out his preference or that he can or can't afford to expand his horizons from here.

Muchas Gracias in advance.
[signature]
I dont know what part of utah you are from. But most outfitters have a varity of rod and real combos. A 5-6 weight rod should be a good start.8-9 foot leanth sould serve your needs. Weight forward line to match the weight will be good, because it is the easiest to cast. If you are in weber county, I suggest anglers den they are helpful and independantly owned. Help support small buisness . Hope that helps some, and much thanks for your service to this great country.
[signature]
Just a suggestion, but I noticed that Cabelas has St. Croix Reign fly rods on sale for $65 - $75. I haven't fished the Reign, but I have an Avid and a Legend Ultra from St. Croix, and I really like both of them. You can pair that with a Mountain Brook large arbor reel, which you can find anywhere on the web for around $25. It obviously isn't the best reel out there, but it is a great value. It was on Field and Stream's "Best of" list a couple of years ago, because of the great value. You should still have enough left to get a decent fly line. As far as length and weight goes, I would suggest a 8'6" or 9' rod in a 5 or 6 weight. I think those would be pretty versatile options. Hope this helps in some way.
[signature]
Good info, thank you.
[signature]