Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best fly rod for smaller fish
hey fellow feather fishers. I am planning on picking up a new rod and maybe even a new reel this summer. I want a rod that will be "perfect" for fishing high alpine areas and doing some serious back pack time. When backpacking I spend most of my time fishing small lakes and streams, I prefer top water "doesnt everyone?" but I do occasionally get sub-surface usually using buggers or smaller nymphs. I am a top water guy though, If they are eating off the top I am there. I would like to hear some more seasoned advice for what type of rod and reel I should look into. and perhaps there price range.
This rod I am going to purchase will be a specific packing rod, and will most likely not see anything over 5 pound.
along with a new rod and reel, line will come into question as well. What would be the recomended tackle for a very light weight set up?
Thanks for any info and advice you can sling my way, I appreciate anytips that could help better my decision.
[signature]
i've got a 7'6" 3wt sage fli and i love it. it's a super fun smaller rod, but you can definitely throw some line out with it. good for throwing dries but got enough backbone if you wanna throw some subsurface with an indicator. never thrown any streamers but from the feel of it i bet it could toss some smaller buggers around just fine! the flight replaced the fli so you might be able to find one for a great deal like i did.
[signature]
I have a TFO professional series rod. Its a 4 piece and really easy to pack in. A 3 or 4 wt should work fine. And the reel I have is a Orvis Battenkill. Not a super expensive set up at all but it works great.
[signature]
Howdy,
I have been using a W.W.Grigg GX 600-3 (6') (2 Piece)
and a Okuma Sierra s4/5 Reel for my Creek set up and its worked out nice.

Rod and reel were under a 100 bucks.
[signature]
hey thanks for the input guys. I have been researching the subject a lot, I know I want to run a 3-wt. I have never used anything lower than 5, But I am on this as low as it goes kick, the highest pound rating on any of my current spinning rods is ten ponds. and thats my back bone rod for fighting kitties. What should I expect from going from a 5 wt to a 3 wt? I am currently using a cheap scientific angler 5 wt. 3 pc. with a redington crosswater reel. I have really liked my reel. the rod is a cheapo replacement from a ex girlfriend gone mad( I was using a nice glass redington, but she grew angere one trip and smashed it in the car door) I really liked the feel of the glass when fighting in moving water, but in the mountains it seemed to be overkill.
One rod in particular I was looking at is the elkhorn ultralight. Though I have not heard much review on elkhorn fly rods. anyone know if thats a good rod for the price?
[signature]
My Brother in law has just that rod. Elkhorn 3 weight. He rally liked it but snapped the tip (frozen guides)
He was having trouble getting it fixed and finally gave up and bought a new rod.

I also have the 6' Griggs. Fun little creek rod, but fast.
I also use a 7'9" Sage LL 2 wt. LOVE THAT THING!

I Understand the glass though. I have a 4, 5, 6, and 8 weight glass. Lately I have been using the 7' 4 wt. Lamiglass with Trout Sharkskin. What a nice match.[cool]
[signature]
My Brother in law has just that rod. Elkhorn 3 weight. He rally liked it but snapped the tip (frozen guides)
He was having trouble getting it fixed and finally gave up and bought a new rod.

I also have the 6' Griggs. Fun little creek rod, but fast.
I also use a 7'9" Sage LL 2 wt. LOVE THAT THING!

I Understand the glass though. I have a 4, 5, 6, and 8 weight glass. Lately I have been using the 7' 4 wt. Lamiglass with Trout Sharkskin. What a nice match.[cool]
[signature]
I do not like hassels when trying to get something fixed. same thing happened to me and my redington glass rod. when I got it they said lifetime warranty, and what they meant was the lifetime the guy sold it to me worked at the shop. once he relocated my warranty was gone, and I got a here ya go bud, sorry... cheapo instead. I was wicked bummed. heres a 50 dollar hand me down for that 800 plus glass rod. chapped my cheek the wrong way, I tell you what. if you were to pick one rod to fish small streams and creeks and the small lakes of the uintas, and you could have any rod made what would your pick be?
[signature]
the best rod out there for warrenty and reliability..and just plain easy to use..sage is it..igot a sage ds2 3 years ago broke it twice both times completly my fault..they sent me a new one both times..only paid 280 for it origionaly..my opinion is sage...
[signature]
If you mean the rods I OWN, then I would say the Lamiglass. But I have caught fish close to 20" up there.
[signature]
the more I look the more I am being pulled toward sage. they have such a good diverse selection of weights and lengths. I meant if you were to up and buy a rod simply for high alpine fishing what would it be. I too have caught 20+ inch fish, last november we went ou for the last trip of the year, all the lakes had a sheet of ice in the middle, I could cast onto the ice then drop a bugger off and strip it back in. that landed 3 spawned out brookies all males, and all over twenty inches. It is easy to forget that trout are salmon and come that time they change. these brookies were so colorful, with reds and had gnarly hook jaws. It was amazing to see.
[signature]
Oh, an if I had rod thing...LOL
Okay then it would be with out hesitation, the Helios 763-4 mid-flex 7.5
[signature]
i dont mean to bud in ..but ive only meet two people who ever owned a helios..they told me they know every customer by name..exactly how good is this rod..im curious
[signature]
Undescribeably GREAT!. I do have the 6
[signature]
I love my Sage Launch 4 peice 7' 6'' 3 wt (with battenkill reel) for that type of fishing. It does have the backbone to handle 25 inch trout in fast water not just stillwater. Helios cost 3 or 4 times as much and just isn't as critical for smaller streams. I did just break down and get the Helios 9ft 6 wt midflex since it was on sale but that is for places like the Green and Snake river in WY, and Salmon and Stealhead fishing in Alaska. I used it last week up in Seedskadee and it was a dream casting but the catching was fairly slow.
[signature]
[#008000]Here's another vote for the 2 piece 6' Griggs 3 weight - that's if you want to go with the cheap. I have had a blast with mine and it's easy to fish with when there is little room or need to cast much line out. They are also quite durable.[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]I also use an 8' Sage 4 weight that has got to be my favorite for smaller waters where I have some kind of casting room. But as you know, Sage is a bit more expensive and you might not want to expose it to the rigors of serious backpacking. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]As far as line goes, packing and small streams can be hard on your line, so, you don't need to dump too much coin in that direction. Especially, if you are fishing smaller streams mostly - you don't have to throw much line so castability is not too critical. However, if you are going to also fish small lakes, the best line you can afford is the appropriate answer.[/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]For a reel, since it just holds line and does little else when you are backpacking and targeting smaller fish, get the cheapest and lightest one you can get away with.[/#008000]
[signature]
you know im jelious but ill get over it..someday ill have one..untill then sage will have to do..[fishin]
[signature]
hey thanks for all the advice, this is definately helping limit the thousands of rod choices. I have decided on a 3-wt rod, and I will probably transfer my reel over, since it deserves a better rod. as far as not wanting to put a pricey rod through the gauntlet of backpacking, especially off trail packing, which I do more of, I would carry my rod internally in a rod case where it would be safe and sound. I am in a decision between a sage and griggs right now. obviously griggs is the cheaper of the sort, but I imagine you get what you pay for with the sage. how would you compare your griggs to your sage?
[signature]
i was fishing with a buddy the other nite..he has a ww.grigs and claims to like it..we switched rods to see the difference..i didnt get my sage back the rest of the nite..price wise grigs is inexspensive..but there is a definate quality diference..your choice..
[signature]
[#008000]The difference between my Sage and my Griggs is like night and day - at least as far as casting goes. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Another rod that I have just came to mind. It's more of an in between the Sage and Griggs (price and quality wise) - It's a sweet little fairly inexpensive 7'6" Reddington 3 weight that is a 5 piece. It's an older one that was made before Reddington was bought out by Sage and it casts pretty nice while still being small enough to negotiate tighter spots in the streams that have a lot of cover. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]When I brought up the rigors of backpacking with a rod, I was more refering to the actual fishing in tighter spots with a lot of brush and overhead foliage to avoid when navigating the waters. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Typically, my rods are safe while in my backpack and out of harm's way of the hounds and me. [/#008000]
[signature]