Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wacky worm
I've used this technique at a pond where most of my freinds said there were no bass and now I'm catching 5lb all the time.

just get a thick worm about 6in long and hook in the middle of the body with a split shot weight about 4 inches up on the line then a slow steady retrieve with solid jerks.

In a pond that no one ever catches bass I have been catching and releasing 5lb + on that now every time I go there.
[signature]
Just use a salt stick or senco and eliminate the split shot.[Wink]
[signature]
I've never heard of anyone using a split shot weight with a wacky rig. Does it create a better fall? Or just allows you to cast farther?
[signature]
I also use a wire weedless hook with a small rubber bushing. If you roll the bushing around the worm then put the hook through the rubber bushing and not thru the worm it seems to keep me from losing worms and with yamamoto thats good. I aslo cut little 1/2 " peices of clothes hanger and use those for stick weights. I also have used the whacky set up completly weightless at night and work it on the top of the water, keep the rod tip up and just swim it along the top. It can be dynamite when they are on.
[signature]
Wow, thanks for the tips stlfishfreak. Never heard of someone keeping it above the surface. That's definitely something i'll be trying next time I'm out. I'll let you know how it works for me.
[signature]
yea , it doesnt really stay top water but when it sinks a bit and you swim that sideways worm back to the top , it displaces alot of water, i think it may look like a frog or critter kicking along the top,,, and they will sometimes hit it on the drop. A couple of full moons ago a friend of mine was fishing chartruse wave tiki worms on the bottom at 2 in the morning and just killing them,, big fish,, it was cool.
[signature]